GLOBAL AUTOMOTIVE AIRBAG MARKET
In automobile sector the safety of the passengers and the pedestrians should be top priority. With the increase in number of vehicles on road there has been direct influence on the increasing road accidents globally. Auto manufacturers have been focussing on enhancing the overall safety of passengers and drivers. Airbags play a crucial role in bringing down the fatality rate involved in road accidents.
- Driver Airbags
- Front Passenger Airbags
- Side Airbags
- Side Curtain Airbags
- Knee Airbags
- Pedestrian Airbags
Safety key prospect in auto manufacturing has resulted in rapid growth in the airbag industry. Most of the US, Europe passenger vehicles are equipped with standard 6 airbags.
With the regulatory mandate in India where airbags are made mandatory, airbag market is expected to grow substantially.
US AUTOMOTIVE AIRBAG MARKET
In 1970s auto makers like GM and Ford started incorporating airbags in their passenger vehicles. However due to inferior technology it was not made compulsory. With the advancement in technology and in 1998 new road safety came into effect, where it mentioned to have a mandatory airbags on both the sides of the front seats. Ever since, there has been continuous improvement in technology being used. Any passenger car nowadays comes with standard 6 airbags. The pedestrian airbag is also gaining attention, top selling cars like Chevrolet Silverado is equipped with pedestrian airbag as well.
Inflatable seat belts launched by Ford, has pioneered at protection of occupants in the rear seat. It is aimed at reducing the pressure on the chest and help control head and neck motion. Several Ford, Lincoln and Mercedes S class vehicles provide this as optional equipment.
EUROPE AUTOMOTIVE AIRBAG MARKET
Frontal airbags are voluntarily fitted by auto makers. All top selling passenger vehicles comes in with standard 6 airbags. Autoliv from Sweden and ZF group from Germany are the leading airbag designers and developers.
JAPAN AUTOMOTIVE AIRBAG MARKET
All of the top selling passenger vehicles Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienta and Nissan Note come with standard 6 airbags. Toyoda Gosei is one of the top SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) manufacturers in the world.
RECENT PARTNERSHIPS IN AUTOMOTIVE AIRBAG MARKET
- Rane TRW Steering Systems, a JV of the Rane Group and German ZF Group has opened a new facility for occupant safety products at Trichy, Tamil Nadu.
- Autoliv Inc leader in vehicle safety system has completed first unique crash test where, e-scooter airbag concept was tested. This is expected to reduce the head and chest injury to the e-scooter rider.
- Autoliv and Hyundai Motor Group have developed a new centre side airbag, in between the 2 passenger seats in the front row. This is installed in order to prevent bumping of 2 passengers inside the vehicle upon side impact.
- ZF has released a new external airbag technology where the vehicles would deploy the airbag detecting the incoming vehicle and avoid side-on collision. This is possible with the help of various sensors, cameras, lidar and the algorithm within the system software.
- Hyundai Motor Group has developed a new multi-collision airbag system. In case of multi collisions, if the airbags are already deployed, this technology helps to deploy airbags again by recalibrating the collision intensity.
- Honda and Autoliv have developed a new front airbag design for passenger vehicles where in, it protects the occupant’s frontal collision scenarios including angled crashes.
- Autoliv has showcased a new airbag and seating systems for passenger cars. This system is basically concerned with the self driven cars as the auto industry is shifted towards autonomous driving.
- Among 2 wheeler vehicles, though Honda has developed a concept of airbag for motorcycles, it is yet to come on road. However, Dainese and Helite have launched the jackets which would inflate upon collision. These vests are used in Moto GP races.
MARKET SIZE AND FORECAST
Market leaders have been continuously working towards better quality airbags and reduce the road accidents. It is estimated that road accidents cause about 1.25 million fatalities in a year globally.
In India, the mandatory regulation was announced in July 2019. According to this all new cars must be equipped with driver side airbag. Although the mandate passed is late compared to other regions, this will boost the airbag market in India.
With the increased safety regulations and increased number of standard airbags in a passenger car will increase airbag market considerably.
High energy released when airbags are deployed often cause injuries to passengers. Kids in front seats are prone to airbag injury than adults in the front seat. As the front seat airbag deploy with very high energy.
About 42 million cars across USA were recalled by different auto manufacturers as the airbags manufactured by Takata Corporation were found to be faulty and caused fatalities in USA. The reason was there was explosion when these airbags deployed and inflators without drying agent caused its rupture, sending shrapnel to vehicle interior.
ZF and Autoliv are the leading airbag designers and manufacturers in the global market. They hold the major share in the market. Japanese company Toyoda Gosei and Joyson Safety Systems from US are the other airbag manufacturers. Some of the companies supplying integral components of an airbag system are:
|Kolon Industries||Cushions and Fabrics||South Korea|
|Nihon Plast Co||Airbag Modules||Japan|
- ZF Group
- Toyoda Gosei
- Joyson Safety Systems
- Daicel Corporations
- Kolon Industries
- Nihon Plast Co