GLOBAL AUTOMOTIVE HIGH VOLTAGE COOLANT HEATER MARKET
- The coolant heaters can be used for both passenger cabin heating and improving battery energy performance in electric vehicles by offering consistent temperature distribution inside the battery pack and maintaining optimum temperature
- The increase in EV sales across Europe and China will be the prime growth factor for high voltage coolant heater
- Improved efficiency of the heater will improve overall range of the vehicle which will be the primary focus in multiple regions and across suppliers
- With high thermal power density and fast response time due to their low thermal mass, the coolant heaters also extend the pure electric driving range for both PHEVs and BEVs
- The leading edge high-voltage heaters have changed the way automotive engineers think about thermal management requirements for the most advanced electric and plug-in hybrid passenger cars.
- Considering more and more strict emissions guidelines, manufacturers of commercial vehicles and buses are increasingly investing in models with alternative thermal management systems.
- The operating voltage of a coolant heater ranges from 220V to 800V and with nominal power ranging from 3kW to 10kW.
- Latest coolant heaters are offering fast response times (heating up/cooling down) due to low thermal mass and high efficiency (>95%) and thick heating element lifetime of >15,000 hours.
- The toughest competition for this component will come from heat pumps as many OEMs are shifting to that component especially the top selling BEV Tesla Model 3
- BEVs will be the prime market for vehicles coming up from 2021-2030 as there is a global increase in BEV sales especially in the EV markets with large penetration such as Europe and China
- The power segment of 5-8 kW will be key for upcoming years, mainly in association with BEV sales
One of the promising ways to improve engine heating systems is the introduction of modern technology into their design in order to increase efficiency and adapt to operating conditions.
Automobiles in the continental or nearer to polar regions are equipped with automotive engine heaters. Engine heaters are essential for trouble-free starting in the severe winter temperatures. Outdoor temperatures well below 0°F (-18°C) are not uncommon during the months of winter.
GLOBAL AUTOMOTIVE HIGH VOLTAGE COOLANT HEATER MARKET SEGMENTATION
By EV Type
By Vehicle Type
- Passenger Vehicle
- Commercial Vehicle
- Asia Ex. China
- Rest of the World
- <5 kW
- 5-8 kW
- >8 kW
GLOBAL AUTOMOTIVE HIGH VOLTAGE COOLANT HEATER MARKET DYNAMICS
Developing EVs is a challenge for the heat management of the automotive sector. Mainly during winter conditions, auxiliary heating systems are required to provide maximum heating performance.
These solutions have to meet high standards, as they have to deal with the absence of exhaust heat and they need to be energy efficient to avoid negative impacts on efficiency, driving range and acceleration.
The automakers are increasingly demanding innovative solutions for efficient heating concepts, and work fast in heating the coolant for the engine preheat and operation, regardless of outside temperatures.
The development of reliable heating solutions for automobile engines is challenging as electric vehicles provide only limited or no usable exhaust gas. Electric heaters are becoming more and more important considering the increasing electrification of the powertrain.
Engineering specialists and Automotive suppliers with designated expertise in electronics, are jointly looking for the heating systems after electrification of buses, trucks and work machines in future: The companies are signing agreement upon a technology collaboration for development of thermal systems. With that manufacturers are taking the next step in this growing market, offering customers seamless system development for thermal management solutions for electric vehicles.
The High voltage coolant heater technology was developed to meet the demand for fast-acting solutions as the thermal management systems of vehicles increasingly become decoupled from the internal combustion engine, permanently in the case of electric vehicles (EVs) and for longer parts of the drive cycle in hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs). By offering consistent temperature distribution inside the battery pack and its cells.
AUTOMOTIVE HIGH VOLTAGE COOLANT HEATER MARKET SIZE AND FORECAST
The Global Automotive high voltage coolant heater market is estimated at $850 Million in 2020, growing at 20% CAGR till 2026.
BATTERY PRICES AND COOLANT HEATER GROWTH
The global prices for Li ion batteries are decreasing at a pace faster than expected and is about to hit the target price of $100/ kWh. This brings about larger battery packs in EV vehicles including PHEVs who will look to increase the overall electric range. Thus the power required by the electric coolant heater will also increase
The decreasing battery prices will also decrease the overall price of the electric vehicle which is the greatest stumbling block at the moment. There is a great demand for city EVs in markets prominent with small cars such as China and Japan.
As the overall prices decrease, BEV sales and PHEV sales will increase on a global scale for both passenger vehicles and commercial vehicles. This will improve the overall market for electric coolant heater as there deployment of coolant heater will be global. The average power used will also improve as the size of the battery packs increase.
With the Thermal Management System for electric vehicles, Webasto introduced a new technology, new components and new units in one fully integrated system. The concept ensures constant and optimal temperatures for passenger, battery, drive train and power electronics. The system comprises the proven High-Voltage Heater HVH 100 with a constant efficiency of 95 percent.
BorgWarner has entered into a partnership with ZEEKR Intelligent Technology Co., Ltd. owned by Geely Holding Group with plans to supply its advanced High-voltage Coolant Heater (HVCH) to ZEEKR’s new ZEEKR 001 electric sedan.
BorgWarner´s coolant heaters are expected to appear in 2021 on the next generation of passenger cars produced by global OEMs. The company has been chosen as a supplier for cabin heating and battery conditioning solutions for several high-volume vehicle programs.
The Eberspaecher Group exhibited efficient, powerful thermal management solutions for off-highway and construction vehicles at ConExpo-CON/AGG.
Usually at low temperatures, construction work and the transport of building materials must be ensured. Eberspaecher’s Titronic CHHV 50 G3 is a purely electrical solution for fast, reliable heating of off-highway and construction vehicles with a hybrid or electric drive. The compact high-voltage coolant heater warms up the driver’s cab using PTC technology: Based on their in-system self-control effect, these high-performance PTC elements protect against overheating, enabling safe and powerful heating.
StreetScooter GmbH relies on reliable heating solutions from Eberspaecher. Depending on the type of vehicle, electrical high-voltage heaters or ethanol heaters are used.
The thermal management experts behind these innovations are thus making an important contribution to the quiet, environmentally-friendly mobility of the future. This development underlines Eberspaecher’s competence in implementing efficient heating solutions for electric vehicles with various requirements.
- Phillips & Temro Industries
- Hotstart Thermal Management
- Webasto Thermo & Comfort
- Preheat Engineering
- LF Bros
- BorgWarner Inc.
- Calix Ab
- Eberspächer Gruppe GmbH & Co. KG