GLOBAL AUTOMOTIVE LIDAR MARKET
LIDAR – also called laser scanners or laser radar is a sensing method that detects objects and maps their distances. The technology works by illuminating a target with an optical pulse and measuring the characteristics of the reflected return signal. This pulse width varies from few nanoseconds to microseconds.
Car manufacturers are outfitting modern cars with a wide array of advanced control and sensing functions. Collision warning, Adaptive Headlights & Cruise Control, Lane Departure, Pedestrian Collision Warning, Blind-Spot Monitors and several other drivers assist features. For all these features one stand-out technology which helps incorporates these features and run smoothly is Lidar sensors.
Highly or fully autonomous vehicles usually use multiple sensor technologies to create an accurate long- and short-range map of a vehicle’s surroundings. LIDAR and radar share a broad array of common features that can map surroundings as well as measure moving object’s speed.
AUTOMOTIVE LIDAR MARKET SEGMENTATION
- Latin America
By Lidar Type
- Microelectromechanical Systems
- Flash Lidars
- Optical Phase Array
- Frequency Modulated Continuous Wave (FMCW)
- Integrated Circuit
- Optical Elements
- Bumper & Grille
- Headlight & Taillight
- Roof & Pillars
- Autonomous Vehicles
- Robotics & Industrial Applications
Mechanical Lidar- Mechanical Lidars are the type of lidars that uses high-grade optics and a rotating assembly to create typically 360-degree field of view. These use powerful, collimated lasers that concentrate the return signal on the detector through highly focused optics.
Solid State Lidar- These lidars have no spinning mechanical components and usually have reduced field of view; thus, it is cheaper. Using multiple channels at the front, rear and sides of a vehicle and fusing their data creates a field of view that rivals mechanical LIDAR.
Flash Lidar- The operation of these lidars are very similar to that of a standard digital camera using an optical flash. Since this method captures the entire scene in a single image compared to the mechanical laser scanning method, the data capture rate is much faster
AUTOMOTIVE LIDAR MARKET DYNAMICS
Since LiDAR is a safety-critical system for autonomous vehicle technology, it goes without saying that LiDAR sensor reliability is of utmost importance. US automotive LiDAR market dominated the global market in 2020 and is anticipated to maintain its leading position during the forecast period.
Automotive Lidar market in Europe is expected to be the fastest growing regional market during the forecast period.
Lidar Modules and sensor fusions will account for lion’s share of semiconductor that goes into ADAS equipped cars.
GLOBAL AUTOMOTIVE LIDAR MARKET SIZE AND FORECAST
Advent of autonomous vehicles will reshape the entire Automotive Lidar Market in one decade. Solid state Lidars are expected to have a significant growth for the market owing to its high-resolution and cheaper solutions.
The focus area of the suppliers is development in incorporating multiple technologies and features into minimal hardware.
The Global Automotive Lidar market is estimated at $XX Million in 2020, growing at –% CAGR till 2026.
RECENT PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT IN AUTOMOTIVE LIDAR MARKET
- BMW has selected Innoviz company’s flagship product, InnovizOne in Japan for use in its fully electric iX, upcoming autonomous car model.
- At Auto Shanghai 2021, Velodyne has showcased latest sensor technologies which are designed for advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), autonomous vehicles, robotics, smart city infrastructure, delivery, industrial and more. Velodyne’s Alpha Prime, Vellaray H800, M1600, Vella and Velabit are some of the latest range of products exhibited at the meet.
- Alpha prime is a lidar sensor that utilizes Velodyne’s 360-degree surround view perception technology to power safe autonomous mobility.
- Vellaray H800 designed based on Micro-Lidar Array Architecture (MLA) and it is combined with long-range perception and a broad field of view also the sensor is designed for safe navigation and collision avoidance in ADAS and autonomous mobility applications
- LeddarTech will provide their industry-leading LiDAR hardware and software components into Osram’s Percept LiDAR platform
- Velodyne Lidar and China based Trunk Tech will collaborate in developing next-generation autonomous heavy trucks and to accelerate commercialization of driverless trucks in China’s logistics market.
- Knightscope, Inc., a developer of advanced physical security technologies has selected Velodyne Inc to power its future 5th Generation Autonomous Security Robots.
- Continental has expanded their product range of Lidars by investing in Robotic Vision and Sensing pioneer California based AEye. Both companies are jointly developing a high-performance long-range LiDAR sensor based on AEye’s patented 1550nm agile architecture that utilizes a novel advanced micro MEMS technology
- Mitsubishi Electric has developed a compact light-detection and ranging (LiDAR) solution incorporating a micro-electromechanical system (MEMS) that achieves an extra-wide horizontal scanning to detect the shapes and distances of objects ahead in autonomous driving systems.
- Bosch launched long range lidar sensors which will be used for improving ADAS and self-driving capabilities. Lidar sensors will see usage in detecting objects when the camera is unable to due to harsh lighting, better guidance at intersections and lane sensing when the marking visibility is low
Some of the leading players in the automotive lidar technology are Continental AG (Germany), ZF Friedrichshafen AG (Germany), Infineon Technologies AG (Germany), Velodyne LiDAR, Inc. (U.S.), Texas Instruments, Inc. (U.S.), Leddartech, Inc. (U.S.), Quanergy Systems, Inc. (U.S.), and Innoviz Technologies, Ltd. (Israel).
The Lidar industry is dependent on software providers as technology partners for maximum utilization and improvement of the hardware.
Texas Instruments’ sales for year 2020 increased ever so slightly about 0.6% from $ 14.3B to $ 14.4B.
Velodyne Lidar shipped about 11.7K sensors in the FY-2020 and revenue dropped by 6% for the year 2020. Revenue dropped from $ 101M to $ 95M in the year. Projects in the pipeline for company increased from 131 to 183 at the end of 2020 compared to 2019.
Veoneer sales for year 2020 saw a decline of 28% from $ 1.9B to $ 1.37B. The active safety segment witnessed minimum drop in sales compared to other segments as it dropped by 12% from $ 708M to $ 624M.
Of the $ 10.2B sales in 2020 Infineon’s automotive segment accounted for 43% of it i.e., ~$ 4.4B. There was 7% growth in the overall sales in 2020. In Q1-2021 company’s sales reached $ 3.1B and automotive segment accounted for 44% of it i.e., $ 1.38B.
LeddarTech is one of the global leaders in providing sensing solutions for autonomous mobility and for driver assistance systems. Moreover, LeddarTech products and solutions are actively deployed in autonomous shuttles, trucks, buses, delivery vehicles, smart cities/factories, and robotaxi applications.
California based Quanergy has collaborated with Chinese OEM Geely to develop and commercialize solutions for the broad deployment of smart city and autonomous vehicle systems.
Shacman Trucks in China has selected Innoviz Technologies’ solid-state Lidars which will enable driverless port operations, a step towards autonomous vehicle development in CV segment.
- Infineon AG
- Velodyne Lidar Inc
- Texas Instruments, Inc
- LeddarTech Inc
- Quanergy Systems Inc
- Innoviz Technologies
- Mitsubishi Electric