GLOBAL AUTOMOTIVE LIDAR MARKET
LIDAR – also called laser scanners or laser radar is a sensing method that detects objects and maps their distances. The technology works by illuminating a target with an optical pulse and measuring the characteristics of the reflected return signal. This pulse width varies from few nanoseconds to microseconds.
Car manufacturers are outfitting modern cars with a wide array of advanced control and sensing functions. Collision warning, Adaptive Headlights & Cruise Control, Lane Departure, Pedestrian Collision Warning, Blind-Spot Monitors and several other drivers assist features. For all these features one stand-out technology which helps incorporates these features and run smoothly is Lidar sensors.
Highly or fully autonomous vehicles usually use multiple sensor technologies to create an accurate long- and short-range map of a vehicle’s surroundings. LIDAR and radar share a broad array of common features that can map surroundings as well as measure moving object’s speed.
AUTOMOTIVE LIDAR MARKET SEGMENTATION
- Latin America
By Lidar Type
- Microelectromechanical Systems
- Flash Lidars
- Optical Phase Array
- Frequency Modulated Continuous Wave (FMCW)
- Integrated Circuit
- Optical Elements
- Bumper & Grille
- Headlight & Taillight
- Roof & Pillars
- Autonomous Vehicles
- Robotics & Industrial Applications
Mechanical Lidar- Mechanical Lidars are the type of lidars that uses high-grade optics and a rotating assembly to create typically 360-degree field of view. These use powerful, collimated lasers that concentrate the return signal on the detector through highly focused optics.
Solid State Lidar- These lidars have no spinning mechanical components and usually have reduced field of view; thus, it is cheaper. Using multiple channels at the front, rear and sides of a vehicle and fusing their data creates a field of view that rivals mechanical LIDAR.
Flash Lidar- The operation of these lidars are very similar to that of a standard digital camera using an optical flash. Since this method captures the entire scene in a single image compared to the mechanical laser scanning method, the data capture rate is much faster
AUTOMOTIVE LIDAR MARKET DYNAMICS
|1||September 2021||LeddarTech||LeddarTech and Omni Design technologies have partnered to accelerate next-generation LiDAR SoCs that will enable LiDAR manufacturers to design LiDAR products.|
|2||August 2021||Innoviz Technologies||Innoviz Technologies and Whale Dynamics have announced their collaboration on the next generation L4 LiDAR-Driven AD platform.|
|3||August 2021||Velodyne Lidar||Velodyne Lidar and MOV.AI have announced their collaboration to provide robot manufacturers with more solutions including mapping, navigation and risk avoidance.|
The automotive industry is making efforts towards the development of autonomous and semi-autonomous vehicles, as a result of which the LiDAR technology is estimated to witness a surge in the demand in the coming years. The leading players in the market such as Scania, Daimler, Volvo, Volkswagen, General Motors, Waymo and many more are planning to launch autonomous and semi-autonomous vehicles. The companies in the LiDAR market have been focusing their developmental works on the LiDAR sensors of the next-generation with continuous wave frequency modulation technologies (CWFM) to determine the velocity as well as the distance of the target.
The growth of the LiDAR based systems is primarily based on the increase in applications such as adaptation of LiDAR in UAVs, in engineering and constructional applications, in geographical information systems (GIS) with the emergence of 4D LiDARs and even the regulations for use of commercial drones are decreasing, these are the fuels powering the market.
Since LiDAR is a safety-critical system for autonomous vehicle technology, it goes without saying that LiDAR sensor reliability is of utmost importance. US automotive LiDAR market dominated the global market in 2020 and is anticipated to maintain its leading position during the forecast period.
The Automotive Lidar market in Europe is expected to be the fastest growing regional market during the forecast period.
Lidar Modules and sensor fusions will account for the lion’s share of semiconductor that goes into ADAS equipped cars.
COVID IMPACT ON LIDAR MARKET
Due to the novel coronavirus pandemic countries across the globe following the directives of WHO are imposing lockdowns and trade restrictions in order to minimise infections. As a result of which the exports of automotive components and parts have been disrupted primarily from China, large manufacturing units across Europe and the electronic plants based in the US. The reduction in the production of automobiles due to these reasons has impacted the demand for LiDAR sensors negatively in the automotive sector.
However, the Covid-19 pandemic is estimated to have an indirect impact on the market. Autonomous and semi-autonomous cars and other vehicles market is predicted to be on the rise in the future because of new evolving technologies and increased focus on clean energy initiatives.
To realise the importance of driverless and contactless delivery in attempts to control the infection rates, many grocery, food delivery and logistics companies have started to adopt delivery by autonomous vehicles which make use of LiDAR sensors extensively.
The plunge in the market can also be seen due to the decrease in production of electronic components and integrated circuits. This decrease can be attributed due to the restrictions in the manufacturing units and trade restrictions.
GLOBAL AUTOMOTIVE LIDAR MARKET RECENT ACQUISITION
Toyota and Aurora are also working together to test an autonomous ride-hailing fleet based on Toyota Sienna minivans that are equipped with lidars, radars, and cameras.
Ouster Inc., a manufacturer of sensors, announced that it had signed a binding contract to buy Sense Photonics, a company that had created a digital solid-state lidar for the construction of automobiles.
After the strategic all-stock acquisition is completed, Ouster intends to launch Ouster Automotive, a new division with the goal of promoting the widespread use of digital lidar in passenger and commercial vehicles.
It is anticipated that the combination of Sense’s advanced, solid-state digital lidar silicon and Ouster’s digital expertise and maturity in product development and manufacturing will hasten the delivery of our multi-sensor digital lidar suite for the consumer ADAS [advanced driver-assistance system] market.
According to Ouster, their solutions offer “a great balance between price and performance, are designed to meet a set of standards that are adaptable enough to cover hundreds of use cases, and enable revolutionary autonomy across industries.” The San Francisco-based business claimed to have 600 clients in more than 50 nations.
Approximately 80 Sense personnel with backgrounds in engineering, semiconductors, and the automotive industry will be retained, according to Ouster, strengthening the company’s competitive position. A retention package of five years was approved for some Sense employees.
It intends to purchase from Sense an exclusive licence to more than 250 patents as well as more than 100 pending patents.
GLOBAL AUTOMOTIVE LIDAR MARKET SIZE AND FORECAST
Advent of autonomous vehicles will reshape the entire Automotive Lidar Market in one decade. Solid state Lidars are expected to have a significant growth for the market owing to its high-resolution and cheaper solutions.
The focus area of the suppliers is development in incorporating multiple technologies and features into minimal hardware.
The Global Automotive Lidar market is estimated at $XX Million in 2020, growing at –% CAGR till 2026.
RECENT PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT IN AUTOMOTIVE LIDAR MARKET
|1||November 2021||Quanergy||Quanergy systems, a leading provider of OPA-based solid-state LIDAR sensor has announced a new M1 EdgeTM 2D LIDAR sensor paired with QORTEX Aware ™ perception Software.|
|2||October 2021||Velodyne Lidar||Velodyne Lidar will announce its new lidar solutions at the Auto Guangzhou 2021 which takes place in November 2021 in China.|
|3||October 2021||Quanergy||Quanergy Systems has demonstrated the S3 series LiDAR, a true solid sensor using industry’s first OPA technology and CMOS manufacturing process for mass-market production.|
|4||September 2021||Velodyne Lidar||Velodyne will show Advanced LIDAR technologies and software solutions in the IAA Mobility in September.|
- In July 2021, San Francisco based Self-driving sensor maker AEye Inc has signed a deal with German supplier Continental and Autonomous Truck company TuSimple.
- According to this deal AEye will deploy LiDAR sensors in the autonomous trucks developed by TuSimple, who are working with VW’s TRATON Group to develop a commercial-ready fully autonomous system for heavy-duty trucks, and is co-developing Level 4 self-driving trucks with Navistar.
- BMW, Mercedes, China’s Xpeng as well as US based Lucid Motors are launching vehicles by the end of 2021 and in the year 2022 with LiDAR sensors as an option upgrade to the semi-autonomous model.
- Volvo, the Swedish carmaker in collaboration with Luminar technologies has introduced LiDAR based flagship vehicle XC90, a fully electric SUV to be launched in the year 2022.
- Nissan, an Indian automaker has announced the development of LiDAR based technology for autonomous driving ProPILOT to be integrated in 20 models by 2022.
- In 2021, DENSO, a key mobility supplier in collaboration with Aeva, a US based LiDAR and perception system company to develop and launch the Frequency Modulated Continuous Wave LiDAR (FMCW).
- In July 2021, Veoneer partnered with the pioneering Baraja to industrialise and develop their Spectrum-Scan LiDAR technology for the L2+ through L4 category of autonomous vehicle.
- The company in January 2021, came under agreement with Qualcomm Technologies to collaborate on the development of scalable ADAS and autonomous driving (AD) solutions.
- In June 2021, Quanergy announced a strategic collaboration with Sensata Technologies, a leading technology and sensor provider company for the development of smart LiDAR and 3D perception technologies for the sector.
- In September 2020, A California based startup, Quanergy developed the world’s first of kind optical phased array (OPA) 3D LiDAR system for the automotive sector.
- The company LeddarTech launched the LeddarTM Pixell 3D flash LiDAR module recently, the technology is optimised for blind spot coverage and proximity detection in urban areas.
- BMW has selected Innoviz company’s flagship product, InnovizOne in Japan for use in its fully electric iX, upcoming autonomous car model.
- At Auto Shanghai 2021, Velodyne showcased latest sensor technologies which are designed for advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), autonomous vehicles, robotics, smart city infrastructure, delivery, industrial and more. Velodyne’s Alpha Prime, Vellaray H800, M1600, Vella and Velabit are some of the latest range of products exhibited at the meet.
- Alpha prime is a lidar sensor that utilizes Velodyne’s 360-degree surround view perception technology to power safe autonomous mobility.
- Vellaray H800 designed based on Micro-Lidar Array Architecture (MLA) and it is combined with long-range perception and a broad field of view also the sensor is designed for safe navigation and collision avoidance in ADAS and autonomous mobility applications
- LeddarTech will provide their industry-leading LiDAR hardware and software components into Osram’s Percept LiDAR platform
- Velodyne Lidar and China based Trunk Tech will collaborate in developing next-generation autonomous heavy trucks and to accelerate commercialization of driverless trucks in China’s logistics market.
- Knightscope, Inc., a developer of advanced physical security technologies has selected Velodyne Inc to power its future 5th Generation Autonomous Security Robots.
- Continental has expanded their product range of Lidars by investing in Robotic Vision and Sensing pioneer California based AEye. Both companies are jointly developing a high-performance long-range LiDAR sensor based on AEye’s patented 1550nm agile architecture that utilizes a novel advanced micro MEMS technology
- Mitsubishi Electric has developed a compact light-detection and ranging (LiDAR) solution incorporating a micro-electromechanical system (MEMS) that achieves an extra-wide horizontal scanning to detect the shapes and distances of objects ahead in autonomous driving systems.
- Bosch launched long range lidar sensors which will be used for improving ADAS and self-driving capabilities. Lidar sensors will see usage in detecting objects when the camera is unable to due to harsh lighting, better guidance at intersections and lane sensing when the marking visibility is low
GLOBAL AUTOMOTIVE LIDAR MARKET RECENT TRENDS
Woven Planet, a subsidiary of Toyota Motor Corp, is following Tesla Inc’s lead in using low-cost cameras to develop self-driving technology. According to Reuters, Woven Planet has been able to collect data and efficiently train its self-driving system using cameras, a “breakthrough” that the company thinks will help lower costs and scale out the technology.
Using a large fleet of automobiles to collect various driving data is essential for establishing a reliable self-driving car system, but testing autonomous vehicles with pricey sensors is expensive and not scalable. Other sensors, like as radars and lidars, are still used by Woven Planet for training and long-term deployment.
While Alphabet’s Waymo and other self-driving car companies added pricey sensors like lidars to a small number of vehicles, Tesla has been relying on cameras to collect data from over 1 million vehicles on the road to develop its automated driving technology. Woven Planet employs cameras that are 90% less expensive than the sensors it previously utilised and can be simply put in passenger car fleets.
AUTOMOTIVE LIDAR MARKET COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
|1||Q3-2021||Texas Instruments||The total revenue at the end of third quarter is $4.64 billion and in 2020 it was about $3.81 billion and change is about 22%.|
|2||Q3-2021||Continental||At the end of third quarter, the sales of Continental Groups was €8.04 billion and is much lesser than the sales in 2020, €8.67 billion.|
|3||Q3-2021||Velodyne Lidar||The Third quarter’s total revenue is about $13.1 million and in the previous quarter it was about $13.6 million.|
|4||Q3-2021||Veoneer||Veoneer’s Third quarter net sales clocked $391 million and in 2020 it was about $371 million.|
Some of the leading players in the automotive lidar technology are Continental AG (Germany), ZF Friedrichshafen AG (Germany), Infineon Technologies AG (Germany), Velodyne LiDAR, Inc. (U.S.), Texas Instruments, Inc. (U.S.), Leddartech, Inc. (U.S.), Quanergy Systems, Inc. (U.S.), and Innoviz Technologies, Ltd. (Israel).
The California based startup Quanergy is appointed by PARIFEX as the supplier exclusive for production of long range 3D LiDAR for the speed detection on highways as of June 2021. The company’s M-series is selected for the project because of the long range of up to 200 m that it provides.
The superior implementation of LiDAR sensors in various applications has been attracting investments from OEMs across the globe to enable the development and integration in next-generation autonomous vehicles. In July 2020, the Luminar Technologies an automotive LiDAR company received investments worth $100 million by the G2VP LLC, The Westly group as well as the Moore Strategic Ventures LLC, this raised to the total investments of $250 million in the company. With the help of these investments, the company has developed low-cost LiDAR technology for commercial trucks through a new platform – Iris.
In 2020, Hesai Photonics Technology Co. Ltd, a LiDAR technology development company, received an investment worth $173 million as a part of the company’s series C funding round which was led by Bosch GmbH with Lightspeed Ventures LLC, DT Capital partners, ON Semiconductor Corp. as well as Qiming Venture Partners. The investments fueled the growth of LiDAR startups helping in the growth of the market.
As of July 2021, Veoneer Inc. announced a merger agreement with Magna International Inc. Under the agreement Magna International will acquire Veoneer for a value worth $31.25 per share to a total value of $3.8 billion. This will extend Magna’s ADAS business by providing access to new customers and areas including Asia.
The company Veoneer has done well in the second quarter of 2021, with a net sales of $398 million for the three months ending in June 30, which was a whooping 116% increase as compared to the same quarter the company experienced in 2020 during the pandemic. The sales for the year 2020 saw a decline of 28% from $ 1.9B to $ 1.37B. The active safety segment witnessed a minimum drop in sales compared to other segments as it dropped by 12% from $ 708M to $ 624M.
The Lidar industry is dependent on software providers as technology partners for maximum utilization and improvement of the hardware.
Texas Instruments’ sales for year 2020 increased ever so slightly about 0.6% from $ 14.3B to $ 14.4B.
Velodyne Lidar shipped about 11.7K sensors in the FY-2020 and revenue dropped by 6% for the year 2020. Revenue dropped from $ 101M to $ 95M in the year. Projects in the pipeline for company increased from 131 to 183 at the end of 2020 compared to 2019.
Of the $ 10.2B sales in 2020 Infineon’s automotive segment accounted for 43% of it i.e., ~$ 4.4B. There was 7% growth in the overall sales in 2020. In Q1-2021 company’s sales reached $ 3.1B and automotive segment accounted for 44% of it i.e., $ 1.38B.
LeddarTech is one of the global leaders in providing sensing solutions for autonomous mobility and for driver assistance systems. Moreover, LeddarTech products and solutions are actively deployed in autonomous shuttles, trucks, buses, delivery vehicles, smart cities/factories, and robotaxi applications. California based Quanergy has collaborated with Chinese OEM Geely to develop and commercialize solutions for the broad deployment of smart city and autonomous vehicle systems.
Shacman Trucks in China has selected Innoviz Technologies’ solid-state Lidars which will enable driverless port operations, a step towards autonomous vehicle development in the CV segment.
AUTOMOTIVE LIDAR MARKET COMPANY PROFILES
- Infineon AG
- Velodyne Lidar Inc
- Texas Instruments, Inc
- LeddarTech Inc
- Quanergy Systems Inc
- Innoviz Technologies
- Mitsubishi Electric
THIS AUTOMOTIVE LIDAR MARKET REPORT WILL ANSWER FOLLOWING QUESTIONS
- Automotive Lidar Market size and Forecast, by region, by application
- Average B-2-B price for Automotive Lidar Market, by region, per user
- Technology trends and related opportunity for new Automotive Lidar Market tech suppliers
- Automotive Lidar Market share of leading vendors, by region,
- Coronavirus impact on Automotive Lidar Market earnings