GLOBAL CATAMARAN MARKET
- Catamarans comprise ~20-25% of total annual sailboat production in US.
- More than 10 boat companies have launched alternative energy powered catamarans in past 2 years Use of recyclable materials including recycled aluminium, cork ,carbon fibre and plant-based alternatives is on the rise
- Greater displacements, higher speeds, and a bigger sitting area are among the most sought after features in the rapidly evolving power catamaran market
- There has been a growing interest in solar/battery powered catamaran which can achieve 6-7 knots per hour and about 100 nautical miles per day
Catamarans are wide and tall, thus more spacious than a mono-hull of comparable size. Due to higher stability at the outset, catamarans can have bigger superstructures even at smaller lengths. Modern catamarans are well engineered for long ocean passages.
Catamarans have now evolved as a great pleasure boat. They are now made by famous international yacht builders, globally which includes high quality engineering and a top level of fit and finish.
Large multi-hulls generally need at least 15 knots to get going, but catamarans can sail at even 5-7 knots even at a 40-50 degree apparent wind angle,Today, catamarans occupy a strong niche in the overall market.
The data from recent boat shows tell us that there has been an unprecedented demand for Catamarans, driven by a generation of baby-boomers and younger adventurers wanting to quit routine jobs and go cruising across the globe.Catamarans with 40-60ft size range where cruisers can best utilise hull accommodation, plus provide a big living area/saloon over the central bridge-deck are in high demand.
The new age Catamarans and trimarans now feature carbon fiber in their layout, along with E-glass Corecell foam core etc. The hulls are now narrower below the waterline with very sharp bows, which helps them run over the waves and glide through with impressive ease.Finishes are getting lighter and brighter. The sleeping cabin areas within the hulls now have bigger windows and even bigger en-suite bathrooms.
From construction perspective, the length of catamarans have been increasing, new 50-foot catamarans which could meet the demand for premium living within a size still manageable by a non-professional crew are in high demand. There is also a growing trend to push helm stations to a higher level to resemble a fly-bridge. This makes the cockpit space bigger and provides the captain and guests a commanding view.
Among the major drawback of catamarans is higher berthing fees at a marina, but they are somewhat compensated by the twin hulls which stay steady at anchor.
NEW ALTERNATIVE ENERGY POWERED CATAMARAN DEVELOPMENT
Oct 2019-The Sunreef 60 E has all-carbon fibre bimini with in-built curved solar panels generating 4.5 kW. Carbon fibre has also been used for the mast and boom
Feb 2019– A new yacht company in the Netherlands, Vaan Yachts, has introduced its first-ever model. The Vaan R4 is a 42 ft catamaran made om recycled materials, including recycled aluminium, and plant-based alternatives for leather.
Feb 2019 -The electric version of the VOYAGE 480 uses two electric motors for propulsion and a huge bank of lithium batteries to power systems and equipment, including air conditioning and a water maker
There is growing demand for catamarans which offer the conveniences of a large yacht like topside summer kitchen , cockpit seating for over 15+ adults, and two comfortable cabins for overnight stay.
MARKET SIZE AND FORECAST
Performance cruising(boats with more powerful sail-to-length/weight ratio and various weight-saving techniques) with economical fuel consumption is a growing segment in the global catamaran market. Power catamaran(with light-weight hulls that require low engine power) is a growing segment of the catamaran market which has started getting popular with people who no longer have the time, or budget to get a crew to sail.
The global catamaran market is estimated at XX thousand units worth ~$XX M revenue per annum.
The global catamaran market is dominated by European players. Most of the top brands today are built in Europe, or Asia. Lagoon, Leopard, Aquila and Catana are among the most reliable brands globally.Lagoon by Beneteau is among the most popular catamaran brand worldwide and a top-seller in Europe.
THIS REPORT WILL ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS
- Market Size and Forecast of catamaran market, by region, by price and by length(Volume and Value)
- Trends,risks, drivers and opportunities in global catamaran market
- Market share of Catamaran suppliers
- Opportunity for solar module and battery manufacturers, kitchen equipment, telematics, sail fabric suppliers
- Growth strategy of catamaran manufacturers and opportunity in charter market