INDIA DIESEL GENERATOR MARKET
- Expanding manufacturing sector and increasing commercial application are the major drivers for the genset market in India.
- Commercial sector accounted for the major share of genset revenue in the year 2019-2020.
- (5 kVA- 75 kVA) segment will remain the major contributor to Indian Diesel Generator market owing to increasing commercial and corporate building construction.
- Gensets are used in hospitals as a backup power and with governments increasing spending on establishing new hospitals, gensets sales are expected to increase in the coming years.
- With a high number of corporate buildings and manufacturing plants under construction, Tamilnadu is expected to witness the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
- KOEL group announced a drop in sales of gensets by 4% in 2019-20.
- Turnkey solutions and Powercar business in railways might bring desired profit for vendors during the forecast period.
- New emission norms in Construction Equipment Vehicles (CEV) might slow down the growth rate in the FY 2021
- Cummins and Kirloaskar owned KOEL are the market leaders in India with a cumulative ~60% share of the market in 2020
A diesel generator utilizes a diesel engine and electric generator to generate electrical energy. Liquid fuels or natural gas are usually used as the primary fuel of the diesel generator. Totally, a diesel generator works based on air compression and the fuel.
Diesel Generator set is used to generate electricity for meeting the electricity requirement of small establishments such as commercial buildings, Hotels, Railway Stations, Telephone Exchange, Shops etc. when there is a power supply failure from the State Electricity Board or other power supply undertakings. Since power failure is quite common in India, this equipment has got good demand. Diesel Generator set of 5 kVA rating is having an exceptionally good market as it suits most of the commercial establishments.
INDIA DIESEL GENERATOR MARKET DYNAMICS
In more recent versions of the diesel engine, the pre-chamber and the combustion chamber are modified for maximum combustion and acoustical attenuation. The engine is turbocharged for maximum performance and power output.
Digital controls have replaced the traditional analogue types for more precision and controlled fuel injection rates and timings to enhance combustion and reduce exhaust gases.
The noxious nitrous oxide (NOx) fumes are subjected to emission treatments like the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) and Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) to minimize emissions in various ways.
The efficiency of diesel generator sets is important in aspects of long-term timeframe operations which is expressed as a combined efficiency of these two sub-components.
Typically, the combined efficiency of diesel generator sets varies between 30-55% while stand-alone efficiency of diesel engine and alternator ranges between 35-60% and 85-95% respectively.
The diesel generator has the ability to simultaneously inject both active and reactive powers.
INDIA DIESEL GENERATOR MARKET STRUCTURE
There are different sizes of diesel generator sets ranging between 2 kVA to 7,000 kVA being used in the country; 15 kVA to 2,000 kVA being the most commonly used. Usage of diesel generator sets of up to 75 kVA is more widespread (more than 95%).
The diesel generator sets market in India has both organized (large reputed domestic brands and international brands), and unorganized (small local) manufacturers. Discussion with stakeholders suggests that 30-40% of the total market is unorganized. The presence of unorganized small-scale manufacturers is higher in case of diesel generator sets up to 25 kVA apparently due to the use of simple technology which is easier to manufacture.
As per Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas of India, out of the total diesel consumption, 6-8% was consumed for power generation which includes grid-connected diesel-based power plants of more than 10 MW, captive diesel-based power plants, and diesel generator sets.
INDIA DIESEL GENERATOR MARKET SEGMENTATION
The Market of Diesel Generators can be segmented into following categories for further analysis.
By Mobility Type
- Shipboard Diesel Generators
- Industrial Diesel Generators
- Commercial Diesel Generators
By Operational Power Classification: (kVA – Kilovolt Amperes)
- 5 kVA – 75 kVA
- 76 kVA – 375 kVA
- 376 kVA – 750 kVA
- Greater than 750 kVA
By Type of Fixture
- Mobile Diesel Generators
- Fixed Diesel Generators
By Regional Classification
- Western Region – India
- Eastern Region – India
- Southern Region – India
- Northern Region – India
INDIA DIESEL GENERATOR MARKET SIZE AND FORECAST
India diesel generator market is estimated at $XX Billion in 2020 growing at –% CAGR till 2026.
Diesel generators are widely employed in manufacturing facilities owing to uncertainty, power-intensive production lines, and the need for a reliable backup power source. Thus, growth in the manufacturing industry during the forecast period is expected to drive the demand for diesel generators in the country.
The wide range of engine efficiency is mainly attributed to design, size or capacity, mechanism for fuel control, operating speed, type of cooling mechanism, and material of construction. However, the efficiency during operation deviates from the design value because of load conditions, ambient conditions, and operation and maintenance (O&M) practices.
The efficiency patterns with respect to size of the diesel engines in the Indian and global markets are similar, i.e. efficiency increases with size.
The global average efficiency levels are comparatively better than that of Indian models, particularly for up to 300 kW (~ 375 kVA) size categories. It is observed that there is a percentage difference of about 7% to 8% in the average design efficiency for up to 300kW size categories between Indian and global diesel engines used in diesel generator sets.
Specific Fuel Consumption (SFC) expressed in litre/hour or gm/kWh is an indication of the quantity of diesel required to generate one unit of electricity. This parameter is of direct relevance to end users as it relates to the operating costs of generating electricity from diesel generator sets.
The Indian diesel generator market is characterized by the presence of several organized and unorganized players.
The organized sector of the market is highly concentrated, with Cummins India Ltd., Kirloskar Oil Engines Limited, Mahindra Powerol Ltd., and Caterpillar Inc. operating as key players.
- Jakson is a leading brand of Diesel Genset & Diesel Generator company in India, offering a wide product range from 7.5KVA all the way up to 3750 KVA.
- RAPOWER is a Bangalore based company that manufactures diesel generators in India and also offers a wide spectrum of power solutions to industry. The company is an OEM for Ashok Leyland and its generators are vibration, sound, and corrosion free.
- Supernova Engineers Ltd offers captive power solutions to all major Indian cities with high-tech high-quality Diesel Gensets.
- Mahindra Powerol is a leading brand of diesel generator across India, Diesel & Gas Gensets by Mahindra Powerol are the most sold product in this segment.
These players have strong in-house R&D capabilities and offer differentiated portfolios of diesel generator sets.
Besides, the Indian diesel genset industry has witnessed a number of product launches in recent years.
Perkins, a subsidiary of Caterpillar, announced the launch of its six-cylinder, 23-liter 4006 electronic engine. The genset is electronically controlled, is compatible with Perkins EST diagnostic tool, and generates 750 kVA of prime power.