GLOBAL TRUCK TRANSMISSION MARKET

Seamless freight movement is what fuels mega economies. In North America, more than 66% of the trade that happens between the participating countries the US, Canada and Mexico happens via Trucks. Other modes of transportation like rail. air pipeline when cumulatively combined carry only the remaining 34% of the freight.

Trucks also have a major role in multi-modal shipments, more often than not providing the first and last mile connectivity to factories, warehouses, and stores. All of this puts a lot of load on road infrastructure which has resulted in a huge amount of traffic congestion on highways but in spite of everything Trucks still, continue to play a major role in freight movement, globally.

MARKET DYNAMICS

In China and India majority of the trucks have manual transmission as standard on light, medium and heavy trucks. In Europe, AMT transmission is fast displacing manual transmission whereas the vocational segment in North America is dominated by torque converter automatic transmission by Allison.

MARKET SEGMENTATION

Infographic: Truck transmission market size

INDIA TRUCK TRANSMISSION MARKET

In India, since most of the trucks are powered by comparatively lower capacity engines, the transmission torque rating is consequently lower.

TATA provides following gearboxes on its  LCVs range.

  1. GBS 27, Synchromesh (5F+1R)
  2. G-380, Synchromesh (5F+1R)
  3. GBS 550, Synchromesh (6F+1R)
  4. GBS 40, Synchromesh (5F+1R)
  5. GBS 750, Synchromesh (6F+1R)

ZF is supplying transmission to all major truck manufacturers in India including Tata Motors, Ashok Leyland and Eicher on their higher tonnage trucks.

 

NORTH AMERICA TRUCK TRANSMISSION MARKET

The class 8 trucks have long been known to specced with manual transmission, more often called “Stick” in the North American region. Even now, the share of manual transmission in Class 8 trucks in North America is more than 60%.

Low cost, higher reliability and the older generation being familiar with manuals is the reason for its dominant share. But, with growing driver shortage and higher skills required to operate a manual is making way for a larger share of AMT in North America. The 5% better fuel economy offered by AMT is an added bonus.

Some of the recent facts supporting this move are put below:-

  • The best-selling on- Highway tractor “Freightliner Cascadia “ in its  post 2017 iteration  has seen uptake of  DT12 AMT at >90%
  • Kenworth and Peterbilt are seeing a fitment rate of more than 60% for AMT in all of its Class 8 trucks sold in 2018
  • Mack is promoting its natural gas powered trucks with AMT transmission ,sourced from Eaton
  • Volvo`s AMT called the I-shift which also extends to Mack`s line-up as mDrive is seeing uptake in the range of 70% over past two years

MARKET SIZE AND FORECAST

The global truck transmission market size is estimated at $XX Billion in 2020, growing at –% CAGR till 2025

 

COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE

Daimler trucks and Volvo truck manufacture almost all transmissions in-house. Allison Transmission is the global leader in manufacturing automatic transmission for commercial vehicles and US is its biggest market.

THIS REPORT WILL ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS

  1. Share of in-sourced and out-sourced transmission, by region
  2. Opportunity for truck transmission sub-component manufacturers
  3. Market split by transmission type(AT, AMT, MT), by region
  4. Opportunity in truck transmission market for off-highway vehicles
  5. Market share of major transmission manufactures in top 3 regions

Sl noTopic
1Market Segmentation
2Scope of the report
3Abbreviations
4Research Methodology
5Executive Summary
6Introduction
7Insights from Industry stakeholders
8Cost breakdown of Product by sub-components and average profit margin
9Disruptive innovation in the Industry
10Technology trends in the Industry
11Consumer trends in the industry
12Recent Production Milestones
13Component Manufacturing in US, EU and China
14COVID-19 impact on overall market
15COVID-19 impact on Production of components
16COVID-19 impact on Point of sale
17Market Segmentation, Dynamics and Forecast by Geography, 2020-2025
18Market Segmentation, Dynamics and Forecast by Product Type, 2020-2025
19Market Segmentation, Dynamics and Forecast by Application, 2020-2025
20Market Segmentation, Dynamics and Forecast by End use, 2020-2025
21Product installation rate by OEM, 2020
22Incline/Decline in Average B-2-B selling price in past 5 years
23Competition from substitute products
24Gross margin and average profitability of suppliers
25New product development in past 12 months
26M&A in past 12 months
27Growth strategy of leading players
28Market share of vendors, 2020
29Company Profiles
30Unmet needs and opportunity for new suppliers
31Conclusion
32Appendix

 

Back to top
X