VLOGGING CAMERA MARKET
- The global market for camera sales is decreasing but cameras bought for content creation will see increased growth as people with vlogs improve the quality of production with increase in viewership
- Cameras used exclusively for vlogging purposes will see increased growth in terms of overall sales (22 % CAGR from 2021 – 2026 ) .The price per unit will also see a slight decrease as companies offer better products with competitive pricing.
- The $300-$900 price range will see the highest growth in volume while >$900 range will see the greatest value growth as the most of the vloggers will shift to improving their vlog quality and the top vloggers will improve their gear with time
- Go-Pro saw a boost in their direct-to-consumer e-commerce business as demand for GoPro continued to grow from the COVID-19 trough.This continued momentum supports their shift to a more direct-to-consumer business
- The major chunk of top 10 influencers with maximum subscribers in the world comprises of gamers. Most Gamers use advanced screen recording software coupled with some camera in few cases. The cameras most preferred by top ‘Lifestyle and Beauty vloggers’ are manufactured by ‘Canon’ and ‘Sony’
- There are products like Panasonic G100, Sony ZV-1 which are vlogging friendly but are basically the modified versions of their parent products. There is a gap which can be filled with an exclusive product with tailored hand grips and control points customized to be used at arm’s length, exclusively for vloggers
SOME FACTS ON YOUTUBE
- As of 2020, there are about 38 Million YouTube channels globally. In 2019, the channel number grew by ~23%.
- From 2016 to 2019, the number of channels with 1M+ subscribers grew by 65%. The number of channels featuring between 10K and 100K subs grew by around 70% in 2019. The number of channels having more than 100K subs even doubled last year.
- YouTube is the #1 platform for uploading videos and associated earnings but many vloggers also upload vlogs in 20+ other platforms like Dailymotion, Twitch, Vimeo etc.
- What makes YouTube the #1 platform is that about 25-27% of world population (1.8-2B people) are YouTube logged in users today and about 20,000 hours of video content is uploaded every hour.
NEW VLOGGING CAMERAS LAUNCHED IN THE MARKET(PRE-COVID)
|Sl no||Brand||Model||Price(USD)||Launched in||Key features||Competes with|
|1||Nikon||Z50||$950||Oct 2019||20.9-megapixel,APS-C sensor, Compatible with Z Series lenses, as well as F-Mount Lenses||Sony A6400 and Fujifilm X-T30|
|2||GoPro||Hero 8 Black||$500||Oct 2019||Largely based on Hero 7 but connects to a new range of hardware add-ons||DJI’s Osmo Action camera and other mirrorless cameras|
|3||Fujifilm||X-A7||$700||Sep 2019||DCI 4K video, Articulating screen design for vloggers, 8 fps shooting||Sony A6100|
|4||Canon||EOS M200||$630||Sep 2019||Updated image processor, Eye-detect autofocus, 4K videos at 30 frames per second, 90 minutes of video recording||Sony A77II|
The vloggers are mostly influencers, who are always striving to create the best possible content to improve their channel and earnings. A good camera is a must have but it also needs to be lightweight and versatile, to be used in almost all outdoor and indoor applications. Because of this, many vloggers are now substituting their mobile phone cameras with a vlogging camera, this is an ongoing trend and could also be a potential risk to the vlogging camera market.
Future growth of vlogging cameras will also be closely linked to drone camera sales as many vloggers have both.
The average selling price of a mirrorless camera’s body preferred for vlogging is $943 in 2019 and this is ~20% higher than the average mirrorless camera body’s selling price ($720). The market share of mirrorless cameras in global vlogging cameras will increase from 18% in 2019 to 35% in 2025.
VLOGGING CAMERA MARKET SIZE AND FORECAST
The vlogging camera market size is derived from two set of buyers, 1) who are new to vlogging and buying their first camera with a lower budget and limited features 2) experienced vloggers who understand the nuances of advanced cameras, related tech and the impact it has on their content.
We talked to 14 celebrity vloggers (>1M subscribers) and found that their average cost of camera ranged between $1,300-$1,900. But there are more than 100,000 aspiring vloggers (20k-100k subscribers) who have varying needs, budget and are always on the lookout to upgrade their equipment. Something the vlogging camera manufacturers will have to pay very close attention to.
- The price point is important to vloggers as they shift to serious vlogging after generating traction and will be upgrading their gear. The digital cameras offered in this price range can shoot top quality videos as well as the action cameras. Some of the DSLR models which cost more than $900 in 2020 will also fall into this price range as better cameras are developed
- Companies will have to market products in this price range exclusively for content creators and offer features that facilitate fast editing as well as uploading to platforms for sharing
Mirrorless and DSLR cameras will have a slower replacement period (~2-2.5 years) compared to action cameras (~1-1.5 years). USA currently has 23% of the global market share (by volume) and this will grow to 25-26% by 2025, USA will remain the biggest market in terms of a single country for Vlogging cameras.
“The global vlogging camera market size is estimated at $486M in 2020, growing at 18% CAGR till 2026”.
The vlogging camera market is dominated by Asian manufacturers. 6 out of 9 manufacturers profiled in this report belong to Japan and it is because of their long-proven expertise in building all form of cameras over past many decades. Olympus has the highest gross margin among all manufacturers.
The vlogging camera market is highly concentrated with just four players accounting for ~77% market share So far, Sony and Cannon have emerged as the top choice brands by vloggers and they cumulatively account for a substantial market share.
Nikon is willing to expand their base of younger customers by introducing entry-level models that are more affordable while still featuring improvements to video and other functions and by supplying software that supports expression through imaging.
Sony is actively engaging in acquisitions, joint ventures, capital expenditures and other strategic investments to acquire new technologies. Sony invested in Bilibili Inc. and Epic Games, Inc. (“Epic”), and acquired minority interests in both companies, with the goal of accelerating business expansion in the area of entertainment in the fiscal year ending March 31, 2022.
GoPro’s sales through GoPro.com represent an increasing percentage of revenue and are focused on continuing to accelerate the growth of e-commerce sales. Revenue from GoPro.com represented 33% of revenue in the fourth quarter of 2020.
Canon is accelerating the promoting and marketing sector to boost the sales of the products such as “EOS R5” and “EOS R6” full-frame mirrorless models.
- Panasonic Corporation
- Sony Corporation
- Canon Inc.
- Nikon Corporation
- Samsung Electronics
- SZ DJI Technology Co., Ltd
- Fujifilm Holdings Corporation
- Olympus Corporation
- SJCAM Limited
- YI Technology
- Garmin Ltd.
THIS REPORT WILL ANSWER THE FOLLWING QUESTIONS
- Global Vlogging camera Market size and forecast, segmented by geography, camera type and brand
- Which market segment will grow at highest rate and why?
- Growth in influencer marketing and its impact on vlogging camera market
- Top 10 YouTube influencers in US, Europe, India and China and most popular vlogging cameras in respective regions/countries
- Pain points of vloggers related to camera and their expectation from future vlogging cameras
- Latest technical trends and developments in newly launched vlogging cameras
- Growth in number of vloggers in past two years and in 2019-2025
- Opportunity in related camera accessories market(Tripod, lens, external hard drive, memory card etc.)
- Market share of vlogging camera vendors
- Persona of popular vloggers