GLOBAL AUTOMOTIVE CAMERA MARKET
Cameras are to computers (of ADAS systems), what mirrors and windows are to human drivers. They allow vehicle`s computer to asses outside environment and take corrective measures to enhance vehicle`s safety.
US is world`s biggest passenger car market in terms of value, estimated at $630 Billion in 2019. As average transaction prices per car in US was ~ $38,000 in 2019, it was ~40% higher than Europe, 75% higher than China and ~280% higher than India.
AUTOMOTIVE CAMERA MARKET SEGMENTATION
- Latin America
By Camera Type
- Mono Camera
- Stereo Camera
- Night Vision Camera
- Multi-purpose Camera
By Camera Position
- Front Camera
- Rear Camera
- Side Camera
- VW Group
- Stellantis Group
- Chinese OEMs
- Luxury Car OEMs
AUTOMOTIVE CAMERA MARKET DYNAMICS
The growth in popularity of L1 and L2 automated ADAS vehicles has been a major growth catalyst for ADAS camera market.
There is an increasing attempt to develop and combine cameras for easier usage. The attempt to combine control modules is also very prevalent
In China, many OEMs are now planning to launch L3 automated vehicles by 2020-21 and as per our Autonomous Car HD maps report, – up to 25 L3 automated vehicles from 15 OEMs could be offered by 2025.
Level 3 is the first step in the move from ADAS to autonomy. Successfully deployed Level 3 autonomy requires the driver to still be alert when the vehicle’s self-driving functions are active. Honda has announced that it will start mass producing SAE Level 3 standard Honda Legend model. The first limited batch of models are available for leasing in Japan from March 2021.
It is also observed that individual driver assistance functions, however, are even more effective when they are seamlessly integrated. To meet this level of autonomy ZF has developed Level 2+ technology for passenger cars by combining functions into an intelligent semi-automated solution with a central electronic control unit.
BY CAMERA POSITION
The front facing cameras are used for
- Adaptive cruise control
- Road traffic sign recognition
- Lane departure warning and keep assist
- Automatic emergency braking etc.
|Region||Estimated % of vehicles with front camera|
This hardware will see growth due to increase in penetration of adaptive cruise control, automatic emergency braking and other safety features.
Due to legislation rear view camera has 100% penetration in USA, with Europe and China behind them in penetration.
The rear facing cameras are used for
- Rear pedestrian detection
- 360-degree camera etc.
|Region||Estimated % of vehicles with rear camera|
This hardware will see growth due to prevention of accidents, possible legislation in regions, and comfort provided to drivers.
The side facing cameras are used for mainly 360-degree view. The current development is focused on better images and integration from the sides for overall driver ease.
|Region||Estimated % of vehicles with side camera|
US AUTOMOTIVE CAMERA MARKET
- There are 304 passenger car models on sale in US as of April 2021. Camera based ADAS is offered at least as an option on 170+ models.
- The top selling models for Ford in USA are F 150 (7 variants), Escape (5 variants), Explorer (6 variants), Fusion (4 variants) and Edge (4 variants). Among these all variants have pre collision assist with automatic emergency braking as standard. Blind spot monitoring is present across all the variants of Escape and Fusion without trailer coverage
- The top selling models of Toyota in USA are RAV4 (10 variants), Camry (12 variants), Corolla (8 variants), Tacoma (6 variants) and Highlander (5 variants). Automatic high beam is present across Camry, Corolla and Tacoma variants. Pre collision system with Pedestrian Detection is present across all variants of RAV 4, Camry, Corolla, Tacoma and Highlander
- Honda’s top selling vehicles in USA in 2020 were CR-V (4 variants), Civic (5 variants) and Accord (6 variants). Lane keeping assist system is present across all variants of above-mentioned vehicles. Rear view camera is standard across all variants of CR-V, Civic and Accord
- Nissan’s top selling vehicles in USA in 2019 were Rogue (3 variants), Sentra (3 variants) and Altima (5 variant). Automatic emergency braking is present in all Rogue and Sentra trims and in 1 Altima variants. Forward collision warning is present in all Sentra and Altima trims
- RAM 1500 had an average transaction price of $60,000 in 2020. Out of the 7 variants, 4 had forward collision warning with active braking has part of a package. 1 trim had Blind Spot monitoring system. 4 had adaptive cruise control and lane sense departure has part of a package
- GM is offering Autonomous Emergency braking as a standard fitment only on the popular Crossover Equinox, whereas the Silverado gets it only as an optional extra on 2 out of 8 trims. Adaptive cruise control is available on multiple models but only on the higher variants
- In the Premium segment, which accounted for ~12% of annual new car sales in US in 2020, Adaptive cruise control is offered as a standard fitment on almost all models. Lexus offers Blind spot information system only as an optional extra
EUROPE AUTOMOTIVE CAMERA MARKET
- There are 374 passenger car models on sale in Europe region as of April 2021.
- The top selling Volkswagen models in Europe Golf, Polo, Tiguan & T-Roc all have been equipped with the lane assist feature & blind spot monitoring feature. Emergency braking feature too has been found in some of the variants of Golf & Polo and as standard in top end models.
- In Toyota models of the region lane departure alert, automatic high beam, pre-collision system was a standard feature in Camry, C-HR, Highlander, RAV4 and Corolla. Blind spot monitor function was also found in most of these models except for Corolla and Aygo.
- In Honda models, CR-V, E and Civic whether it was Type-R or 5 door variant the driver assists systems such as lane departure warning, collision mitigation system, blind spot monitoring were a standard features. Honda E models other than rear view camera comes with Side & Centre Camera Mirror System and a Multi-view camera
- In budget cars such as Renault’s models have rear view cameras as standard, lane keep assist and lane departure warning features. These features are present in models such as Captur, Clio, Megane, Kadjar and even in the EV model Zoe. Blind spot mirror is available in optional package in Megane, Kadjar & Captur models.
GLOBAL AUTOMOTIVE CAMERA MARKET SIZE AND FORECAST
US camera market will be driven by growing ADAS fitment on American cars and light trucks, a trend that started in early 2010s and has continued to grow even till now.
Japanese OEMs like Toyota and Honda have been at the forefront of ADAS especially camera based ADAS.
The Global Automotive camera market is estimated at $XX Million in 2020, growing at –% CAGR till 2026.
RECENT PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT IN AUTOMOTIVE CAMERA MARKET
- Denso has developed new products for “Advanced Drive” technology that will be featured in New Lexus LS & Toyota Mirai. New products include Lidar, Locator Telescopic Camera, a Spatial Information Service Electronic Control Unit (SIS ECU) and Automated Driving Extension Electronic Control Unit (ADX ECU). The telescopic camera equipped with two types of cameras, one for short distance and the other for long distance. It is characterized by a long imaging distance and a large number of pixels, which increases accuracy.
- Veoneer has developed 4th Gen Mono Vision cameras, compared to previous versions a offers a broader field of view, 100 degree with 1.7-megapixel resolution. The processor can trigger alarms, show graphical information to the driver, and automatically brake the car.
- Veoneer has started production of 4th generation “thermal sensing night vision” camera which is expected to have 4 times the resolution of previous version and is also estimated to be 50% smaller & lighter. 2021 Cadillac Escalade will be the first model to be equipped with this feature.
- Continental launched satellite cameras to increase the safety and comfort level of the driver. Continental showcased a product which bundled various different technologies into one single unit.
- Continental showcased “Under the hood cameras” which will provide images of the ground beneath the car thereby helping in navigation and parking in areas with uneven terrains, road with speed breakers etc.
- Bosch released camera with Artificial Intelligence for improving the technology and increasing range for application. The improved ability to read signs, recognize pedestrians and obstacles, make faster decisions in terms of braking and increased visual perception are some of the features that come with the integrated AI and camera launched
- Bosch launched smart camera for driver monitoring to improve safety. The interior monitoring camera can tell who is about to drive and adjust the rear-view mirror, seating position, steering-wheel height, and infotainment system to preset personal preferences.
- Hitachi released a stereo camera that enables Automatic Emergency Braking at intersections. The stereo camera is able to enable breaking and this set up doesn’t require a radar
There are more than 15 camera manufacturers supplying to various platforms in the automotive camera market. Earlier, the suppliers were banking on the growth in Semi-autonomous technology for cars and more investments in fully autonomous prototypes but now as car manufactures hold on to cash and shelve expensive projects, that opportunity will not be accessible at least till 2024-25.
Veoneer sales for year 2020 saw a decline of 28% from $ 1.9B to $ 1.37B. The active safety segment witnessed minimum drop in sales compared to other segments as it dropped by 12% from $ 708M to $ 624M.
Strong demand for mono, stereo and night vision (thermal sensing) systems and ADAS ECUs on several models drove an increase in sales. However, this growth was more than offset by the negative product mix impact from 24GHz to 77GHz radar technology and the phase-out of mono vision cameras on certain BMW models.
Of the $ 10.2B sales in 2020 Infineon’s automotive segment accounted for 43% of it i.e., ~$ 4.4B. There was 7% growth in the overall sales in 2020.
Denso’s Mobility electronics accounted for 21% of the overall sales of $ 32.2B in first 9 months of FY-2021. This segment saw a drop in 7% from $ 7.5B to $ 7B in FY-2021.
We expect reduction in average B-2-B prices for ADAS camera (both Mono and Stereo) as the market becomes more price sensitive and highly dependent on ADAS fitment in passenger cars.
- Hyundai Mobis
- Infineon AG
THIS REPORT WILL ANSWER FOLLOWING QUESTIONS
- Global Automotive Camera Market Size and Forecast, 2021-2026
- Camera Fitment by ADAS technology, 2021-2026
- Cameras installed per OEM, 2021-2026
- OE-Supplier alignment and Market share of leading vendors, 2020
- Coronavirus impact on Global Automotive Camera Market in 2021-2026