GLOBAL ALL WHEEL DRIVE(AWD) MARKET
- In Japan, 43 out of top 45 best-selling vehicles, offer 4WD atleast as an option. E-4WD is getting increasingly popular on higher variants of hybrid vehicles
- US is the single largest market for AWD globally, followed by China and Europe
- The rise of intelligent AWD and E-AWD is the biggest trend fuelled by growth of compact and mid-size SUV/crossovers
- In Europe, less penetration of AWD/4WD cars in major automobile markets such as Germany, UK and France have resulted in rather modest numbers of AWD in the entire Europe region
- 4×4 adoption in India is among the lowest compared to major markets as the budget models sub $15k dominate the top sellers category
OEM`S IMPROVEMENT IN THEIR ALL WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEM
Toyota’s newly developed 4WD system, has a front and rear variable driving force system enabled by a multi-plate clutch. It transfers the power of the new engine to all four wheels with minimal loss. Toyota also started offering E-AWD for the first time in US market on Toyota Prius Sedan.
The E-AWD doesn`t require a center differential or other torque splitting device, like front to rear driveshaft. It has an independent electric, motor (without magnet) to power the rear wheels from 0 to 10 kph, up to 43 mph. It can also sense when AWD is not required.
Audi`s new and improved Quattro, wheel-selective torque control enhances handling by ensuring additional traction across each axle through individual-wheel braking, whereas on 2020 RS7, drive forces are distributed to the front and rear axles in a 40:60 ratio via the mechanical center differential. In 2019 Q5 The Q5 55 TFSI, the all-wheel drive with ultra technology is used in combination with an electric motor. The all-wheel drive system’s intelligent control also works predictively i.e. always looking ahead via sensors and the continuous actuation as per data collected on driving dynamics and driver behavior.
Mercedes`s new 4MATIC can send from 0 to 100% of the engine’s torque to front or rear axle. A transfer case with a multi-disc clutch can vary the torque distribution as per road condition.
Cadillac introduced a new twin clutch design AWD in the US market on 2017 XT5 . The AWD system is capable of transferring up to 100% of available torque to either the front or rear axle. On the rear axle, the electronically controlled differential can provide up to 100% of available torque to either wheels.
MARKET SIZE AND FORECAST
SUVs/Crossovers/light pickups accounted for 36% of global light vehicle production in 2018 or ~29 Million vehicles. AWD/4WD was offered on less than 40% of all SUVs sold.
US ALL WHEEL DRIVE MARKET
In US among top-7 models, 6 of them come with AWD technology and Chevrolet Equinox has a 4-WD variant. As many as 17 models out of top 30 feature either AWD or 4-WD. Among EVs, the rise in number of sales in Tesla models has propelled the AWD numbers, as except for 1 variant in Model 3 all the other models come with AWD feature as standard.
EUROPE ALL WHEEL DRIVE MARKET
The percentage of adoption of 4WD or AWD in the new car registrations in the region is as low as ~22%. Countries such a Switzerland, Norway & Sweden have close to 50% penetration, whereas the major countries Germany, France, UK and others are around 20%.
INDIA ALL WHEEL DRIVE MARKET
With the upcoming SUV launches in the pipeline, such as Toyota RAV4, Skoda Kamiq, will increase the penetration of AWD in the region. With the entry of MG IC & EV models and Kia models the AWD. Mahindra Thar is the cheapest 4×4 vehicle in the country.
JAPAN ALL WHEEL DRIVE MARKET
In December 2020, for the first time Nissan has introduced AWD variant in Note EV model, its Gasoline variant is the top selling Nissan model in the country. The new Note is equipped with dual electric motors at front and rear delivering power to each wheel. Note e-Power offers linear acceleration that is unique to the 100% electric motor-driven system
Borg Warner will supply the transfer cases for Nissan’s SUV and pick-up models. These transfer cases offer various operating ranges including 2-WD, 4-WD (high) & 4-WD (low).
There are 9 major tier-1 AWD /4WD suppliers globally. Among sub-component suppliers, Continental is the leading provider of control units whereas Eaton is among the biggest differential providers. BorgWarner, Dana, American Axle are among the leaders in the North american market whereas JTEKT is the leader in the Japanese market.
As Vehicle electrification is a prominent trend globally, Borg Warner optimized its latest generation of its all-wheel drive (AWD) coupling with a compact brushless direct current (BLDC) motor and highly integrated electronics.It also includes an integrated electronic control unit (ECU) which reduces cost and improves packaging.
South Korea based Hyundai- WIA supplied AWD on various Hyundai and KIA models.
With growing demand for electric drive module:
- BorgWarner is supplying its GenV AWD coupling to the German auto manufacturer BMW. AWD coupling employs a hydraulic actuator to apply variable force to the clutch package using hydraulic pressure and a working piston.
- BorgWarner’s electric drive module entered serial production in Jan 2019.The fully integrated drive module (iDM) also includes developed power electronics which can be integrated either at the front or the rear axle of passenger cars and light commercial vehicles depending on the architecture and the application
- DANA is supplying its Spicer AdvanTEK M180 all-wheel-drive axle to the new, Volkswagen Crafter 4 Motion panel van. It is also supplying Spicer SmartConnect disconnecting all-wheel-drive (AWD) systems for the global 2019 Ford Edge
- Jaguar’s first all-electric production vehicle, the I-PACE, features American Axle & Manufacturing’s all-wheel-drive front and rear e-Drive units
THIS REPORT WILL ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS
- Market Size and Forecast of global AWD and 4WD market (Volume and Value)
- Market Trends,risks, drivers and opportunities in global all wheel drive market
- Market share of AWD manufacturers in US,Europe and China
- Growth strategy and expansion plans of AWD manufacturers
- OE-supplier alignment in global all wheel drive market