GLOBAL DIGITAL INSTRUMENT CLUSTER MARKET
The instrument cluster contains the various gauges and indicators that drivers depend on to learn important information on the current status of the automobile. If this information wasn’t accessible to drivers, potentially hazardous problems could occur and you’d never know.
The function of the instrument cluster is to keep the driver informed with the most current information as they drive. Gauges provide the information for speed, distance, heat and fuel. Indicator lights provide warnings and updates like the check engine light and the low fuel light. Different vehicles have different warnings available.
DIGITAL INSTRUMENT CLUSTER MARKET SEGMENTATION
Digital Instrument Cluster Market By OEM
- 20 other OEMs
Digital Instrument Cluster Market By Vehicle Type
- Passenger Cars
- Commercial Vehicles
- Two Wheelers
Digital Instrument Cluster Market By Geography
- Latin America
DIGITAL INSTRUMENT CLUSTER MARKET DYNAMICS
With the advent of electronics in automotive, varied numbers of operations in a vehicle are sensed and displayed in analog or digital form with the use of actuators thus providing immediate and real time information about the condition of the vehicle to its users thereby enhancing the user experience.
The continual technological advancement in the automotive technologies and the growing trend of digitalized and hybrid cluster plays a prominent part in boosting up demand of automotive instrument cluster market. Luxurious car makers such as Aston Martin, Audi, Buick Limited, Ferrari and others have launched vehicles with digitized clusters, now these clusters are an integral part of luxury vehicles.
From a macroeconomic perspective, the changing consumer lifestyle supplemented by rising income levels in prominent regions is anticipated to drive demand for vehicles with advanced safety and infotainment features. Thus, the market is foreseen to witness moderate growth in demand.
Digital clusters have been swiftly replacing the conventional analog clusters in vehicles over the 2-3 years. This change in consumer preference has opened up new areas of creativity for automakers as digitized dashboards can be made to look sportier and attractive. For instance – GLC remained the highest selling SUV in Mercedes-Benz India portfolio in 2020 as the company sold more than 8,400 units of GLC since its inception till date.
Some of the restraints associated with the automotive digital instrument cluster market are the high cost of the product itself. The high cost associated with the internal components such as integrated circuits, power systems and among others contribute heavily to its cost thereby restraining the market to its fullest potential.
The challenges associated with the digital instrument cluster is the threat of cyber-attacks from external sources which can cause loss of control of the vehicle due to digitization of such systems.
Since speedometer is a standard equipment used in various types of vehicles. The major demand for speedometers and odometers is derived from passenger cars, two-wheelers, and commercial vehicles. Therefore, with the increase in sales of passenger cars and two wheelers the demand for speedometers and odometers is also increasing.
DIGITAL INSTRUMENT CLUSTER MARKET BY VEHICLE TYPE
A car’s instrument cluster houses the various displays and indicators that enable a driver to operate the vehicle. Among these are several gauges – often a speedometer, odometer, tachometer, oil pressure gauge, fuel gauge, etc. – as well as various indicators for system malfunctions and warnings. Instrument clusters provide drivers with a centralized and easily viewable location for displaying all critical system information.
The major subsystem includes the load drivers, Connectivity for communicating small pieces of data consistently among nodes, as well as self-diagnose and repair data errors, Processor, Power Management options and amplifiers.
US DIGITAL INSTRUMENT CLUSTER MARKET
● In USA out of 10 top selling models only four models have opted for a complete digital instrument cluster.
● Honda CR-V, Honda Civic, Nissan Rogue and Toyota RAV4 are the top selling models which have a digital instrument cluster embedded in their models.
● These models have a varied screen sizes ranging from 4.2 – 8 inches.
● Honda’s CRV and Civic model has a screen size of 7-inch, Nissan Rogue has a screen size of 8 inch and Toyota RAV4 have 2 variants with the screen size of 4.2 & 7 inches
EUROPE DIGITAL INSTRUMENT CLUSTER MARKET
Over the past years, more than 120+ Smart Specialization Strategies have been developed across Europe, with more than 67 billion EUR available to support these strategies, under the European Regional Development Fund, together with national and regional funding. Smart Specialization would also promote interregional and cross-border partnerships in areas such as industrial modernization, digitalisation, and the energy transition.
Further the increasing sales and the adoption of EV vehicles in Europe would further provide a more digitized and more comfortable user-friendly driving experience to the products in the market.
- Out of top selling 25 models Peugeot 3008, Mercedes Benz A class and Mercedes Benz C class have a digital instrument cluster embedded in them.
- These models have screen sizes ranging from 7.5 to 12.3 inches.
INDIA DIGITAL INSTRUMENT CLUSTER MARKET
- In India Renault Kwid has a digital instrument cluster embedded in its screen size 3.5 inch. It is the only model among the top sellers to be equipped with Digital Instrument Cluster.
CHINA DIGITAL INSTRUMENT CLUSTER MARKET
- Hyundai Fiesta, MG ZS, Honda Fit, Jetour X70, Hyundai ix35, Haval F7, Bajoun 510, Roewe RX5, BAIC EU Series, Changan S75 are some models which have digital instrument clusters embedded in them.
- They have a varied screen size of 4.2 to 7 inches and 3.5 to 12.3 inches.
JAPAN DIGITAL INSTRUMENT CLUSTER MARKET
- In Japan, out of the top 30 selling models, 7 vehicles have digital instrument clusters fitted in them.
- Toyota Prius, Honda Step Wagon, Toyota RAV4, Honda Freed, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Aqua, Nissan Serena are the models which have digital instrument clusters equipped to them.
- These have varying screen sizes from 4.2 to 7 inches.
LATIN AMERICA DIGITAL INSTRUMENT CLUSTER MARKET
- Chevrolet, Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, Nissan, Volkswagen, Renault, Fiat, Jeep, Honda are some of the top selling brands in Latin America.
- Out of selling top 30 models only 2 models have digital instrument clusters embedded in them.
- Toyota Corolla and Volkswagen Vitrus have digital instrument clusters embedded in them.
DIGITAL INSTRUMENT CLUSTER MARKET TRENDS
- Continental’s new user-friendly MultiViu Flex Instrument Clusters was launched in two screen sizes: with a 4.3- or 7-inch color display.
- Continental’s platform, off-the-shelf 4.3-inch display unit solution is based on TFT display controllers it has an black panel effect along with a modular architecture for easy customization (button backlight, Logo, telltales, color-stripes), application programming by logi.CAD and grADI (Kibes) and affordable, low customization cost.
- Cerence Inc., AI for a world in motion, and Visteon Corporation , announced Cerence’s conversational AI will be integrated in Visteon’s recent SmartCore product award with a leading motorcycle manufacturer. The product will include core Cerence technologies, including AI-powered voice recognition, natural language understanding, and text-to-speech – all with global language support – alongside Visteon’s Android-based SmartCore technology platform: the integrated domain controller powering the instrument cluster, infotainment, telematics, and display.
- Visteon Corporation ECARX and Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. announced Geely Auto’s new Xingyue L flagship SUV will be the first production vehicle to use their co-developed intelligent cockpit solution. Integrating Visteon’s SmartCore cockpit domain controller with the 3rd Generation Qualcomm Snapdragon Automotive Cockpit Platforms into ECARX’s intelligent cockpit system has established a new benchmark for integrated cockpit solutions in the automotive industry.
- Ford offers a BlueCruise hands-free highway driving technology. The BlueCruise will use both advanced camera and radar-sensing technologies and build upon Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop-and-Go, Lane Centering and Speed Sign Recognition. The feature allows a driver to operate truly hands-free on prequalified sections of divided highways called Hands-Free Blue Zones. A driver-facing camera in the instrument cluster monitors eye gaze and head position to help ensure the driver’s eyes remain on the road.
IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON DIGITAL INSTRUMENT CLUSTER MARKET
COVID-19 has affected the global economy in three main ways: by directly affecting production and demand, by creating supply chain and market disruption, and by its financial impact on firms and financial markets. The outbreak of COVID-19 has brought effects on many aspects, like flight cancellations travel bans and quarantines restaurants closed all indoor events restricted over forty countries state of emergency declared massive slowing of the Automotive Digital Instrument Cluster market volatility falling business confidence, growing panic among the population, and uncertainty about future.
In developing markets like India and Latin America the sales of high-end SUVs took a hit in 2020 which restricted the volumes of cars equipped with digital instrument clusters.
Manufacturing operations in the global automotive sector have been disrupted due to the COVID-19 crisis. The shift in consumer preference towards essential products is likely to influence the automotive instrument clusters market over the projected period. Moreover, the COVID-19 outbreak has resulted in the sealing of international borders, which has caused a severe decline in the global demand for automotive instrument clusters. Government authorities worldwide have imposed strict restrictions on travel. Hence, the automotive instrument clusters market is expected to be affected due to the lowered vehicle usage. Additionally, restrictions on public gatherings and travel in numerous countries are expected to hinder the growth of the automotive instrument clusters market during the forecast period.
DIGITAL INSTRUMENT CLUSTER MARKET COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
Visteon Corporation witnessed second-quarter net sales of $610 million, which was an increase of 59% Y-o-Y. Total industry production increased 49% while Visteon’s top customer production increased 55% in the same period. The company’s sales performance represents a 4% growth-over-market compared to the production volumes of its customers. Gross margin in the record was $35 million, and net loss attributable to Visteon was $11 million.
Qualcomm Incorporated announced the results for its third quarter ended June 2021. In addition to leading the 5G transition, the company is on pace to deliver $10 billion of annual revenues across RF front-end, IoT and Automotive as their business continues to diversify. The reports suggested a growth of 65% as compared to the same results of 2020.
Denso Corporation recently released the first quarter results for the fiscal year 2022 with the total consolidated revenue of $12.3 billion which was a 77.3% increase from the previous year same quarter.
Visteon recently announced the fiscal results for the second quarter of the year 2021. The company recorded net sales worth $610 million which was a whopping 59% year on year increase from the Q2 of 2020 reporting net sales worth $371 million.