- In China,by 2021, we expect high priced models(>$20,000) from foreign manufacturers will start production, resulting in higher demand for 6.6kW and 7.4kW on-board chargers.Most of the average price increase will be attributed to phasing out of low range, city only EVs being replaced by long range more practical, long range BEVS
- On-board charger with 6-7 kW power output is most preferred in Europe whereas Chinese market is dominated by <5kW
- The roll back of 54.5mpg CAFÉ norms has been major demand dampener for vehicle electrification in US, but still there are many SUV/pickup hybridisation programs underway which could create demand for On-board chargers
Now, that the electric vehicles are treading the path towards being mainstream,the biggest hurdle for their widespread adoption is still “range anxiety”. This can be countered by adding a bigger battery and developing an inter-operable fast charging network.
On one hand, a well established charging infrastructure requires time,patience and a concerted effort from multiple stakeholders viz OEMs,energy companies and politicians.On the other hand, the long range batteries, which could offer an optimal mix of 600km+ range,weight, reliability and price are still under development.
The charging device for Level 1 and Level 2 charging comes factory-installed and is called the “on-board charger”.
A 3.7 kW on board charger provides ~12 miles per hour of charge whereas a 7 kW on board charger provides ~22 miles per hour of charge.The charging speed may vary, but the most common on board chargers in US and EU are 6.6 kW on battery electric vehicles (BEVs) and 3.3/3.7 kW on plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs).In China, where low speed EVs manufactured by domestic companies have become very popular have a 3.7kW on board charger.
THE NEED FOR AN ON-BOARD CHARGER
The cost to charge an EV at public charging stations varies by a reasonable amount. A few stations are free, while others can cost over twice as much as home charging. Be that as it may, the effect of high open charger costs is regularly quieted by the high dominance of home charging. Public chargers, like those at malls or near highways, and those at workplaces are subject to commercial electricity rates, which are higher than residential rates. At times, it can cost so much to charge an electric car that it makes more sense to drive a gasoline-powered vehicle. This universal reason warrants the presence of an on board charger in an electric vehicle.
The high price of electric cars, thin and inconsistent infrastructure, and range anxiety, as compared to same segment ICE (internal combustion engine) powered car has been a major barrier to EV adoption. But, cost is no longer as daunting as electric car batteries have gotten cheaper, government subsidies have increased, and dealerships have begun offering affordable leases.
Now, the question of where to charge is a bigger issue, especially for the urban population, who live in multi-unit apartment buildings. Many of them don’t have a dedicated parking spot, which makes it difficult to charge an electric car at home.
The Chinese government is making a concerted push towards what it calls ” new energy vehicles” to help reducing greenhouse gas emissions, smog, and traffic congestion.The mandatory sales quota introduced by Chinese government for 2019,2020 and 2021 was supposed to be a major driver for EV on board charger market.But, the subsidy cut in June 2019 has resulted in de-growth of EV volumes in Aug and September.The projected EV sales volume for 2019 has been scaled down to a moderate ~8-10% growth YOY from 25-30% in H1-2019.
The cost of building the EV infrastructure requires massive capital investment and co-operation from state and local administration, which of course is not very easy to find.As of Nov 2019, ~220,000 DC fast chargers have been installed across the globe.Read our EV fast charger market report to know more about the charging infrastructure issues globally.
ON-BOARD CHARGERS IN BEST-SELLING EV & PHEV MODELS-2018
|SL.No||Vehicle brand||Model||Battery capacity(kWh)||Onboard charger capacity(kW) Standard/optional|
MARKET SIZE AND FORECAST
Most plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) makers have adopted on board chargers with 3.3- 3.7 kilowatts (kW). Presently, BEV makers are moving towards on-chargers with more than 6.6 kW power output to reduce the home /workplace charging time.
The VW ID hatchback went into production in Nov 2019 will underpin 1Million+ vehicles annually, after 2020, will have a standard 7.2kW and optional 11kW on board charger. While top-end PHEVs are adding to this trend, low-end PHEVs are still utilizing 3.7 kW on board chargers.
In commercial vehicle segment, we see stronger demand from LCVs(Light commercial vehicles). As, city planning authorities tighten the noose on urban CO2 emissions, the LCVs used for last mile distribution will be electrified first.They are also well suited for electrification because they are driven within city limits at <60kph and do high number of trips but low overall distance.
The market size(volume) of on-board chargers will be proportional to EV market growth,but market value will have close co-relation with the battery capacity.
More than 15 companies are active in the on board charger market. Meta Systems S.p.A, and LG Electronics are among the global market leaders. Leopold Kostal and Dilong Technology are the leading players in the European and Chinese on board charger market respectively.
The current cost of an onboard charger is $xx per KW, which will come down by XX% by 2025.
The competitive landscape of EV on board charger market is extremely fragmented due to presence of many low volume domestic regional suppliers in China.
BorgWarner recently(May 2019) forayed in EV on-board charger market with its Silicon Carbide On-board charger having a power rating of (7.4,11 and 22)kW. It is also offering an integrated package which combines on-board charger with DC-DC converter.To know more about Automotive DC-DC converter market, read our report
As of Sep 2019, there are just 4 suppliers excluding BorgWarner who are offering a combined package(DC-DC Converter and Inverter) i.e Delphi, Hyundai Mobis, Contitnental and Delta Electronics. But, in coming years we expect many more suppliers to offer an integrated power electronics package including on board charger to increase their dollar content per vehicle.
- Ficosa Corporation
- Meta Systems S.P.A
- Brusa Elektronik AG
- Delta-Q Technologies (ZAPI S.p.A)
- BorgWarner Inc.
- Hyundai Mobis Co., Ltd
- LG Electronics
- Lear Corporation
- VisIC Technologies, Ltd
- Hangzhou AODI Electronic Control Co., Ltd
- Current Ways, Inc
- Innoelectric AG
- Toyota Industries Corporation
- Leopold Kostal GmbH
THIS REPORT WILL ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS?
- The market size (both volume and value) of global EV on-board charger Market in 2019-2025 and every year in between?
- Market size and forecast segmented by Application segments by application ,charging power and geography
- Upcoming electric vehicle platforms and on-board charger capacity
- Cost breakup and average margin of on-board charger,by sub-components
- Global production breakup of on-board chargers,by suppliers and their OEM relationship
- Latest trends in EV on board chargers,by every market segment
- The impact of of EV fast charger network on on-board charger market
- The associated risks to on board charger market with growing volume of 48V Mild-hybrid system in Europe
- Average B-2-B on-board charger price in all segments
- New development and trends in on board charger thermal management
- Market share of EV on board charger suppliers in BEV and PHEV segment respectively
- Their future strategies to outdo competition
- Potential new entrants in onboard charger market
- Cost advantage for OEMs who manufacture on-board chargers in-house
- 5 key predictions for next 5 years in EV on-board charger market
To enquire about the report write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
|4||Insights from Industry stakeholders||16-17|
|5||Breakdown of new EV concept vehicles by powertrain||18-19|
|6||Disruptive innovations in on-board charger market||20-21|
|7||Cost breakdown of EV on-board charger by sub-components and average profit margin||22|
|8||Market Size ,Dynamics and Forecast By EV Type||23-30|
|9||Market Size ,Dynamics and Forecast By Geography||31-49|
|10||Market Size ,Dynamics and Forecast By Charging power||50-58|
|12||About new companies in on-board charger market||61|
|13||OEM-supplier relationship in on-board charger market||62-66|
|15||Unmet needs and Market Opportunity for suppliers||81|
|16||5 Key predictions||82|