GLOBAL EV MOTOR CONTROLLER MARKET
The major constituents of electric vehicle systems are the motor, power supply, controller, drive train and a charger.
An EVM controller or electric vehicle motor controller is used to regulate the torque generated by the motors of electric vehicles by means of modifying the energy flow from the power sources to the motor. Motor controller is a device that improves the performance of an electric motor in a prearranged manner
EV MOTOR CONTROLLER MARKET DYNAMICS
As the hybrid electric vehicles/electric vehicles (HEV/EV) market begins to grow further, the need for efficient and smarter motor control becomes more critical. Today more than ever, original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) are focused on how to enhance the capability of electric motors (for example, torque control), while maintaining a high-level of system visibility via diagnostics to always know the health of the system.
To reach these goals, highly integrated solutions in the motor-position control, especially dealing with motor efficiency and torque control, are essential.
One of the key factors that will drive the motor controller market will be due to the use of micro control modules in direct drives to incorporate dynamic safety features.
Currently, permanent magnet synchronous motors (PMSM) are most widely used because of their high efficiency, high-power density and high torque, even at low speeds.
AC Induction motor is seeing increased usage among vehicles mainly in the premium electric vehicles.
Tesla uses Permanent Magnet Synchronous Reluctance Motors (PMSRM) in their vehicles and is the only OEM to use this motor type.
In 2020, even after Covid the global sales of plugged in vehicles saw a rise with Europe being the market leader followed by China and USA. The market shows no signs of slowing down.
EV MOTOR CONTROLLER MARKET SIZE AND FORECAST
One of the key factors that will drive the electric vehicle motor controller market will be due to the use of micro control modules in direct drives to incorporate dynamic safety features. Nevertheless, the high price of controllers and the complexity of functions and architecture remains a challenge for manufacturers.
According to Delphi, the 48-volt, mild hybrid market is predicted to grow 10-times from 2019 to 2025, which is nearly 20 million vehicles, with China and Europe dominating the landscape, respectively. The 48-volt system is expected to represent 50 percent of the overall hybrid market by 2025, or some 12 million units, which is one out of every 10 vehicles sold.
EV MOTOR CONTROLLER MARKET PLAYERS
- Continental: Continental is a German multinational company based in Hannover, specializing in brake systems, interior electronics, automotive safety, powertrain and chassis components, to name a few among their widespread product range. In 2018, they made a revenue of €44billion.
- Delphi Technologies: It is a UK headquartered powertrain specializing company, which renamed itself Aptiv in 2017 and was acquired by BorgWarner in 2020. They are pioneering the electric drivetrain market currently with their R&D facilities in UK, Germany, Sweden and India.
- Sevcon: Sevcon is a UK based manufacturer of controls for electric vehicles. It is currently known for their Gen4-S8 AC motor controller that has been designed to meet the high-performance requirements of on-road and off-road electric and hybrid electric vehicles. It is a compact, rugged and cost-effective design suited for automotive OEM’s.
- Texas Instruments: TI is originally a semiconductor manufacturer based in Dallas, Texas but has been also catering to the motor controller demand in the EV market. During the year 2019, it made around 17000million USD in revenues. TI has been pioneering the EV motor system design by increasing the speed of the motor in order to achieve smaller motor size with higher efficiency.
- Advanced Motion Controls: Originally a servo drive manufacturer from California – USA, AMC has been recently researching and investing into motion control to cater to the needs of the EV market. The M/V series from Advanced Motion Controls’ are fully functional, four-quadrant servo drives designed and built to operate today’s modern mobile electric vehicular platforms. Providing high power from battery supplies with multiple operating modes, for either permanent magnet brushed or brushless motors, propels this motor controlling series ahead of all others.
- Silicon Mobility: Silicon Mobility announced OLEA APP INVERTER HE high-efficiency inverter and motor controller
- BMW i Ventures invested in Software Motor Company (SMC), a company developing reliable, efficient and intelligent motor systems
- Upcoming relevant Chinese vendors:
- Shanghai E-drive Co., Ltd
- Zhongshan Broad-Ocean Motor Co., Ltd.
- Shenzhen Inovance Technology Co., Ltd.
- Hunan CRRC Times Electric Vehicle Co., Ltd.
- Nidec (Beijing) Drive Technologies Co., Ltd.
- Zhuhai Enpower Electric Co., Ltd.
- Jing-Jin Electric Technologies (Beijing) Co., Ltd.
- Shenzhen V&T Technologies Co., Ltd.
- DEC Dongfeng Electric Machinery Co., Ltd.
- Fujian Fugong Power Technology Co., Ltd.
- Other Prominent Vendors:
- Fuji Electric
EV MOTOR CONTROLLER MARKET SEGMENTATION
- Based on region
- Based on vehicle application
- Passenger vehicle
- Commercial vehicle
- Based on type of EV motor controller
- AC Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor Controller
- AC Asynchronous Motor Controller
- DC Motor Controller
MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS
- On 28 January 2020, BorgWarner Inc. agreed to buy Delphi Technologies in an all-stock transaction that values Delphi at about $3.3 billion.
- In September 2017, BorgWarner announced that it has finalized its acquisition of Sevcon, Inc. (Sevcon). A global player in electrification technologies, Sevcon complements BorgWarner’s power electronics capabilities utilized to provide electrified propulsion solutions. Sevcon’s annual sales for 2017 are expected to be approximately $60 million.
- In 2007, Continental acquired Siemens AG’s VDO unit. Also, the German branch of Continental AG has acquired the Fairlawn, Ohio-based rubber company Veyance Technologies Inc. Veyance will be integrated into the company’s ContiTech division.
- In today’s automotive atmosphere where a lot of importance is laid of environmentally friendly and clean technologies is of prime focus, electrification of the drive train is gaining momentum.
- Hybrids and Fully electric vehicles will see a surge in demand in the next 10 years and one of the key areas that will need focus is the development of EV motor controllers.
- Smarter motor controls that can report and take actions on the status of their own system will be fundamental to the success of the HEV/EV market.
- Big players such as Siemens, Bosch, Continental and TI are expected to face stiff competition with smaller EV companies pioneering the technology accompanied with Chinese manufacturers who are racing ahead with EV technology. Therefore, this advancement towards electric drive will see an increase in demand for suppliers to the EV market, and EV motor controllers will surely stand out.