Scooter sharing got off to a great start in 2018 in US and Europe. About 15 startups have cumulatively generated $2 Billion+ in funding till date and expanded to 130+ cities in US and Europe.
In 2019, Scooter sharing operators and their investors have shifted their focus to Asia. But, when scooter sharing operators are already under pressure from regulatory authorities and squeezed margins, is the move to Asia justified? We look at some facts and figures below.
Asia is home to 4.5 Billion people or 60% of global population but its GDP per capita is just ~$6.1K, about 1/8th and 1/6th of US and Europe at $48k and $37k respectively. Asia accounted for 40% (37M Units) new passenger car sales and 90%(45M units) of two wheeler sales in 2018.
Two wheelers are an important mode of transportation in Asia. India and China cumulatively account for 60% (35M units) two-wheelers sold annually followed by ASEAN countries at 11 M units.
So, the question is, when two-wheeler sales and ownership are so high in the region due to temperate climate, low maintenance cost etc. then what problem can scooter sharing solve?
The scooter sharing market in Asia contrasts very sharply with the US and European markets.For example, In India, use of e-scooters in scooter sharing is minuscule as compared to gasoline powered scooters. The scooter sharing services in the country are aimed at providing low cost short-haul trips as compared to first and last mile connectivity in US and Europe. The average trip distance of a shared scooter in India is 10-15km as compared to 2.5-4kms in US and Europe.
To know more about Scooter sharing in US and Europe. Read our E-scooter sharing Market in US and Europe report
Singapore- a country whose population is just 50%(~5.6M) as compared to cities like Bangalore, Hyderabad and Bangkok is witnessing multiple scooter sharing trials being conducted, albeit in closed spaces. The LTA (Land transport authority) has received application from 14 e-scooter sharing operators till May 2019.
In Bangkok, Thailand, Scooter sharing will face a tough competition from bike-taxi (very cost-effective and convenient), but it can be a hit in tourist places like Chiang Mai where Neuron Mobility is already present.
Malaysia is among the richest and least populated country in the ASEAN region but scooter sharing is available only in Cyber Jaya and Kuala Lumpur.
MARKET SIZE AND FORECAST
The rental charges of scooter sharing operators vary by a significant margin in four countries considered for study. India being the cheapest at 3.5-4.5/km($0.06-$.07/km) whereas Singapore is most expensive at SG$ 1 for unlock and $SG 0.1 /minute.
The market size of scooter sharing market in Asia is much smaller than US and European market with multiple regional operators. The unorganized scooter rental market is comparatively bigger in India, Thailand and Malaysia.
The growth of scooter sharing market in Asia will be dependent on a complex mix of factors and declining car ownership is definitely not one of them as is the case in US and European market.
The scooter sharing market size in Asia is estimated at $XX Million in 2019 and $YY Million by 2025.
There are 15+ players active in the scooter sharing market in Asia and 5-6 of them are of Singapore origin but a lot of them are still doing trials and are yet to launch a full-fledged service. Among 10 players profiled in the report, 5 belong to India , 4 to Singapore and 1 to US.
Lime, which started as a bike sharing provider is now predominantly into e-scooter sharing, has broadest coverage in US, Europe and is now also present in Singapore. It`s closest competitor Bird is yet to enter the Asian market though.
Going forward, we expect many new local startups, ride hailing, car rental providers and even car manufacturers to enter the market simply because they cant risk staying out of it.
- Lime(Neutron Holdings, Inc)
- Neuron Mobility
- Vogo Rentals
- Bounce Share( Formerly known as Metro Bikes)
- Beam Mobility Holdings Pte. Ltd
- QIQ Global Pte Ltd.
- Yulu Bikes Pvt Limited
- Fae Bikes
THIS REPORT WILL ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS
- Is there a market for scooter sharing in Asia? If yes then in which countries?
- What could be the potential market size of scooter sharing in these countries, both volume (Million rides) and value ($M)?
- The economics of scooter sharing to become profitable and a leader?
- What are the problems faced by scooter sharing operators in India, Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia?
- The top 5 cities to watch out for in scooter sharing in Asia and why?
- Who is funding the scooter sharing startups and why? How do they seek return on investment, when margins are squeezed?
- What kind of scooters will prove to be more popular in scooter sharing? e-scooters(kick), smart electric scooters or gasoline powered scooters?
- Who are the scooter sharing users in Asia? Do they have any similarity with the users in US and Europe?
- How big is the scooter sharing market from mobile payment, GPS, IOT sensor and scooter manufacturers` perspective?
- The biggest risks for scooter sharing operators in India, Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore
- Market share of leading players in scooter sharing market in Asia
- Market size of unorganized scooter rental market in India, Thailand and Malaysia
- Threat to scooter sharing market from bike sharing and high motorcycle ownership in Asia
- Upcoming regulatory framework for scooter sharing in India, Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia
- Docked or dockless scooter sharing, which will grow in popularity?
|4||Annual bike and scooter sales in Asia||8|
|5||Legislations impacting scooter sharing in Asia, by country||9-10|
|6||Comparison between bike sharing and scooter sharing business model||11-12|
|7||Top purposes served by scooter sharing in Asia||13|
|8||About scooter sharing users in India and Singapore||14-15|
|9||Scooter sharing growth in number of cities 2018-H1 2019||16-17|
|10||Fleet size of scooter sharing operators in top 10 cities||18|
|11||Cash flow and burn rate of scooter sharing start-ups||19|
|12||Opportunities and risks with the sharing business model||20|
|13||Market Size ,Dynamics and Forecast By Country||21-30|
|14||Market split by major Indian cities||31-32|
|15||Market Size ,Dynamics and Forecast By Scooter type||33-45|
|17||Funding raised by scooter sharing operators||49|
|18||All about local scooter sharing operators in India||50-51|
|20||Unmet needs and Market Opportunity for suppliers||71-72|