AUTOMOTIVE PROJECTOR HEADLAMPS MARKET
- As of March 2020, in Europe 16 out of top 30 vehicles get halogen reflector headlights. Only Ford Fiesta, Kuga, Toyota Yaris and Fiat 500 get Halogen projectors. 19 out of top 30 vehicles have LED headlights as standard or at least on the higher trims. HID projectors have almost disappeared from the European market and can be only found in Audi A1 and A3
- In US, 4 out of top 30 vehicles get halogen projectors, halogen reflectors are still standard on lower variants of top-selling Detroit 3 pickups. 15 out of top 30 vehicles still get a halogen-reflector setup
- In China, 1,834 models are available for sale, only 5 out of top 50 best-selling vehicles get a halogen projector. HID projectors have been completely replaced by LED- reflector/ LED projector/LED compact projection module based setup. Phasing out of HIDs in China is a major risk to the global automotive projector headlamps market
- In India, there is a growing demand for halogen projectors as many new launches/face-lifts introduced in 2020 due to upcoming BS VI norms now sport a halogen projector instead of halogen -reflector setup earlier
- In Japan. among top 30 best-selling vehicles, halogen projectors are only available on Toyota Vitz. Toyota Prius and Nissan Note-the top 2 best-selling vehicles have LED projectors
MARKET SIZE AND FORECAST
As we have outlined in the Automotive LED lighting market in India report that, at present the LED headlamps cost 3X more than halogens headlamps(projector/reflector) and thus many OEMs are still waiting for LED costs to come down and going ahead with halogen projectors for present gen vehicles.
Frontal lighting generates highest revenue for automotive lighting suppliers and in the case of projector headlamps the dollar content per vehicle goes up by 12-15% in halogen projector and more than 200% in LED , both compared to halogen reflector setup.
Among OEMs, Toyota is the biggest consumer of LED projectors. It`s global best-seller Toyota Corolla which sells ~1 Million copies per month has been equipped with LED projectors since 2014 MY.
The automotive projector headlamp market size is estimated at $XX Billion in 2030
Asia-Pacific is and will remain the biggest automotive projector headlamps market. As we outlined in our Projector headlamps market in China study back in Dec 2017 that many domestic OEMs in China now have halogen projectors as standard on even base variants.
The market presence of LED projector headlamps has increased following increase in fitment from exclusively available on the premium vehicles to optionally available in the mid-range vehicles. Due to complexity involved in designing high-power LED product segments, (high / low beam and fog light) and regulations regarding their compliance, they are mostly sourced from international manufacturers.
In Europe, the entry level A and B segment hatchbacks still get halogen reflector setup, but they are likely to offer reflector based low cost LED solution by 2022-23.
Findings from our LED headlight market report suggest that a notable trend seen in the recent past is that in the mass market segment, which is now replacing halogen with LED is adopting single beam headlights and the higher segment cars are upgrading to multi-beam LED headlights from single/bi-beam. And, the future for premium car makers is definitely LED headlights synced with front camera to create “Intelligent adaptive headlights”.
The HID( Xenon) projector headlamp segment has been on a declining trend in 2016-2019 and by 2025, it will account for a very small share of the global automotive projector headlamps market.
COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE-AUTOMOTIVE PROJECTOR HEADLAMPS MARKET
Koito ( among the top 3 auto lighting suppliers globally) has established its leadership with local wholly owned subsidiaries in China, India and US. It supplies projector headlamps to many high volume Toyota nameplates, globally. Hyundai-Mobis is the in-house supplier of Hyundai-KIA except India market where Lumax is the exclusive supplier to both companies.
Among the European suppliers Osram has now formed a joint venture with Continental(Osram-Continental) to supply lighting electronics to OEMs as well as tier-1 suppliers globally.
Varroc after acquiring Visteon`s lighting business in 2012 has actively expanded in US as well as Europe and is now a leading lighting supplier to Tesla and Volkswagen.
India based Fiem industries is now a leading name in scooter/motorcyle lighting market and now the sole headlamp supplier to Suzuki Motorcycles India.
The EBITDA margin for most of the lighting suppliers ranges between 8-10% which is expected to expand by 135-150 basis points by 2025 due to growth in LED content.
THIS REPORT WILL ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS
- The market size (both volume and value) of Automotive projector headlamps market in 2021-2026 and every year in between?
- Projector headlamp fitment by OEM, by region
- Top 50 high-volume projector headlamp fitted vehicle platforms and their annual cumulative headlamp revenue
- Which vehicle segment (Ex A, B, C, D and E) has highest halogen projector fitment, by region
- Market size and forecast segmented by lighting type
- Market size and forecast segmented by vehicle type
- Market share of automotive lighting suppliers in passenger vehicles and commercial vehicle segment
- OE-supplier alignment and future growth plans of automotive lighting manufacturers
- Which sub-component has the highest gross margin?
- Will LED lighting overshadow halogen in short-medium term?