EUROPE STEEL MARKET
Europe’s steel industry accounts for roughly 9% of global crude steel production. Europe is home for some of oldest and largest steel producing companies such as ArcelorMittal which produced 97.31 million tonnes in the year 2019 (according to the reports from world steel association). The production of crude steel remained stable despite shifting global market trends. Construction, automotive, and mechanical engineering are main consumer of Europe’s steel.
Steel is an alloy of iron and carbon containing less than 2% and 1% manganese and small amounts of silicon, phosphorus, sulphur and oxygen. It is a known fact that world uses ample steel for construction products. Steel is most versatile industrial material, which is 100% recyclable.
Most of steel in Europe is made of two basic routes:
- The Blast Furnace-Basic Oxygen Furnace (BF-BOF)
- The Electric Arc Furnace Route (EAF)
After rapid rise of steel price across Europe (post lockdown) in the second half of 2020, sources have been voicing that there will be echo of situation in 2008. Due to COVID-19 lockdown measures across Europe in first half of 2020, many steel producing companies had to be idled their plants to balance the supply with declined demand. When the measures been leaned, EAF based steel producers were quick in restarting their facilities, but BF-BOF remained shut for longer period.
EUROPE STEEL MARKET SEGMENTATION
- Pre-Engineered Metal Buildings
- Bridge steel market
- Steel pipe piles
- Structural steel market
- Electrical steel market
- Construction industry
- Automotive industry
- Large electrical equipment
By End Use
- Public Constructions
- Automotive Manufacturing
- Bridges, Flyovers, etc.,
- Transformers, Motors, Inductors, etc.,
- Residential/Commercial buildings
- Steel Rockets
EUROPE STEEL MARKET DYNAMICS
Rising of demand for steel pipe piles in various applications is driving Europe steel market. Soil displacement, high initial costs and additional requirements are major factors obstructing the market. Advancements in technology like use of fibre optic sensors in pile creating breakthrough in the market. Steel pile consumption increased with rise in population, increasing infrastructures.
The adoption of stainless-steel electrical enclosures is governed by several national regulatory standards to improve safety in site. Rising awareness regarding workers’ safety and health, along with increasing fatalities in various industries, is likely to boost the market growth during the period 2020-2027.
The European steel industry is facing serious challenges. As a result of reduced global demand, steel production in EU has significantly dropped and workforce has continuously declined. COVID-19 pandemic is adding additional structural difficulties and making unyielding actions an inevitable. According to EU global deal on steel, the steel industry accounting as most advanced among energy intensive industries in terms of CO2 footprint. Industries planning to cut down its emissions by 30% until 2030, and will lead to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050.
Urbanization and construction provide a strong demand for steel products while growth of manufacturing industry provided demand for flat products like hot and cold rolled and stainless steels, which is likely to have positive outlook in steel market. Companies are investing on technological advancements and new product launches to improve production efficiency and quality of the product.
Consumers are opting lightweight, sustainable low costing building materials, prompting manufacturers to research new products to reach consumers’ demand. The specifications from various industries making the steel industry to adopt new strategies such as acquisition and geographical expansion where potential opportunity for steel products is added for mutual benefits.
Key market players in producing steel including ArcelorMittal, ESC group, JFE Steel, Nippon Steel. These companies are considered of steel products based on their revenue generated, R&D activities, brand value and their superior supply chain management system.
In terms of European countries, the market is segmented into Germany, France, Italy, UK, Spain and rest of Europe. Germany is promising country in producing steel. It contributed almost one forth of the share market in 2020. As there is growth in population and increase in public requirements, infrastructure developments are increasing such as, bridges, residential/commercial buildings, docks, etc., which driving the steel market in Europe.
MAJOR CONTRIBUTING COMPANIES
Europe is responsible for 37% of global steel production. Within Europe, members of EU are considered the second largest steel producer in the world after China. Many companies in Europe contributing best quality steels. Key players for various types of steels are:
- Crude Steel:
- Salzgitter AG: Manufacturer of processed steel products for the automobile and construction industries
- Spartan UK: Manufacturers and produces carbon steel plates
- Grade Steel:
- Erasteel: Producer of high-speed steels and offers range of products and grades on market
- Schmidt + Clemens: Specialists in high-grade steel and cast for worldwide applications
- Steel casting:
- LBI: Manufacturers revolving annular or tubular pieces
- Nedstaal: Supplies ingot cast steels to rolling mills and forging industry
- William Cook: UK based engineering company and a steel casting manufacturer
- Stainless steel:
- Andus group: A group of companies specialized in production of industrial steel, stainless steel
- Outokumpu Steel company: It is an international stainless steel producing company
- WS: Processes steel, stainless steel (also with surface treatments)
Despite of these companies, there are many industries which are key players in the market:
- ArcelorMittal: According to world steel association, it is worlds largest steel producer in 2019. It provided various steel products for different applications.
- Celsa: Offers corrugated steel rolls and rods and rolled wire.
- CSK Steel: Operates in design, manufacture and mounting of steel
- Ancon: Designs and manufacture steel products for construction industry
- Ancofer Waldram
- Cogent Power: The sole producer of electrical in Scandinavia, such as grain oriented electrical steel, non-oriented electrical steel and transformer cores.
- DSD Steel: Erects and produces steel structures for plant maintenance and industrial installation.
- Fiav: Specialized in the production of special drawn steel profiles.