GLOBAL EV BATTERY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM MARKET
- There is a need for large scale BMS with enhanced electronics design, electrochemistry and cell modelling in the next 5 to 7 years and integrate BMS with improved prognostics and diagnostics functions
- China was the leader in EV sales till 2020 when Europe overtook it. Their major battery suppliers such as CATL and BYD also provide BMS which help in easier incorporation.
- The EV sales in Europe surge by 3 times the sales in the last 4 years. Due to this the European Union is likely to emerge as a fast-growing market for automotive battery management system in foreseeable future.
- Texas Instruments launched wireless Battery Management System. By removing the cabling, wireless BMS generally and TI’s solution specifically may decrease weight, increase reliability, and decrease BMS footprint. With more room in the chassis, designers could easily incorporate more intelligence or add more battery cells, meaning more range for the EV.
The Lithium-Ion [Li-ion] Batteries find its major application in Electric Vehicles due to its high energy density and low weight. These batteries are highly unstable in nature and have to be made sure that the batteries are not over charged or under discharged. The Voltage and the Current of the battery has to be monitored closely since in an EV a no of cells are stacked together to form a battery pack, it involves dedicated and efficient operation of monitoring each and every cell. This is called as Battery Management System.
Primarily Battery Management System deals with,
- Charging and Discharging Control
- State of Charge Determination
- State of Health Determination
- Thermal Control
- Cell Balancing
Various Battery and Grid Controllers and Switch Gears are built by the BMS service companies. These devices have in-built voltage, current, temperature sensors capable of performing primary functions are installed along with the batteries.
EV BATTERY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM MARKET DYNAMICS
Automobile Sector is expected to boost the Battery Management System market heavily, solely because the rapid rise in the sales of the BEVs and PHEVs.
RECENT PARTNERSHIPS IN BATTERY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM MARKET
- Exide has tied up with Leclanche to form a joint venture to manufacture Li-ion batteries in India for EVs.
- Ficosa Tier-1 Global Supplier has signed 5 contracts regarding Battery Management Systems with the Chinese market for the Electomobility products coming out of China.
- France based battery manufacturer Ion Battery Systems to set up Li-ion Battery manufacturing unit in India and has recently partnered with Mumbai based Ion Energy Inc for BMS solutions.
- Hella leading German automotive part supplier has agreed to supply battery management systems to an unnamed premium European Electric Vehicle Manufacturer.
- Maxim Integrated Products has launched a single chip battery monitoring integrated circuit which is said to be integrated in the new Nissan Leaf Models
- Varroc Engineering Ltd has collaborated with Lithium Balance from Denmark to manufacture EV Battery Management Systems for the Denmark organization in India.
- Analog devices and Visteon will supply wireless Battery Management Systems to GM for their Ultium platform
- Orient and Ricardo will jointly develop a next-generation battery management system. The key areas of Ricardo expertise that Orient Technology will utilize are in the incorporation of advanced battery state and parameter prediction
- SM Auto partnered with Gotech Energy to make Battery Management System for India’s EV market
- Ion Energy will supply Battery Management System to Ray Electric Motors
Bosch is developing a new cloud services for the batteries used in the Electric Vehicles that helps the users to get real time status of the battery and optimise it accordingly. DiDi Leading Mobility Service Provider in China is the first customer of this cloud services.
Idneo Engineering Services Company based in Spain, has developed a new BMS for electric motorcycles with nominal power up to 11kw and Light Electric Vehicles. It can monitor battery packs of up to 60V and different substances Nickel Cobalt Aluminium (NCA), Nickel Cobalt Manganese (NCM), Lithium Ferro Phosphate (LFP) and Lithium Titanate (LTO).
American auto component and parts supplier BorgWarner is expected to launch a new high voltage coolant heater for electric and plug-in hybrid cars globally.
Tesla Inc American electric mobility giant depends entirely on battery technology for its strong position in automotive market. The company recently introduced its patented ‘Multi-Channel and Bi-Directional Battery Management System which features dynamic redundancy across its BMS. Dynamic redundancy is a feature when there is primary and secondary circuit failure in the system, the multi-channel and bi-directional architecture commands to activate different and fully operational channel of BMS.
Visteon has announced a first production-intent, completely wireless battery management system (BMS) to monitor battery packs continuously for state of health and charge.GM will be the first OEM to equip its electric vehicles with the systems solution from Visteon
EV BATTERY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM MARKET SIZE AND FORECAST
Li-ion Batteries have an average service life of 8-10 i.e., approximately 500 to 1000 charge cycles. Auto manufacturers promise the mileage around 100000 and 160000 kms. But the rapid battery charging, sporty driving style makes the battery to age faster.
Features such as Electric Power Steering, Automatic Start/Stop have increased the load on the batteries. Thus, there is a major issue regarding safety therefore, the need for the Intelligent Battery Management System (IBMS) is increasing among automakers across the globe.
New safety and emission norms are the major influence for this rise in sales. In Europe, there was a 132% increase in EV sales YOY in 2020 and it was the biggest plug in EV market in 2020 and will continue to provide tight competition to China for further growth.
The global EV battery management system market is estimated at $XX Billion in 2021 growing at –% CAGR till 2026
Some of the leading BMS companies from China are BYD, CATL and G-Pulse. The Chinese BMS companies account for 40% share in the global market.
Europe has dominated the BMS market and it is home for various major BMS Manufacturers. The leading players in the Global Market are Leclanche (Switzerland), Eberspaecher (Germany), Lithium Balance (Denmark), Nuvation Energy and Roboteq from USA.
It will be easier for start-ups to develop BMS than to compete with larger suppliers in other power electronic components as R&D is mainly software based. Software will be on constant updates to increase battery efficiency.